Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kelly Johnson (not the engineer, but the baseball player)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kelly Johnson (not the engineer, but the baseball player)

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:58 am

Whatever happened to him? I could've sworn there was a time when he was considered a top prospect but he seems to have fallen off the charts like a latter day Brien Taylor.

Is he even on anyone's draft charts? What do you expect from him in the future?
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:19 am

He was a #1 pick but kind of faded. Had a great year in AAA last year, then looked really good for a while when he was called up.

His average is a little deceptive, as he was about 0 for his first 30 when he was called up, but most of the balls he hit were hard hit ones, just right at people. I remember Cox had some quote about that being the best 0 for 30 he'd ever seen. He's got great patience at the plate, but K's a little more than you'd like to see.

I think in the future he'll hit somewhere around .280/.390 with 20-25 HR's, maybe even 30 if he develops a little more power

This year i think he'll be at like .270/.370/.475 with 10-15 HR's in a platoon with Diaz/Langerhans, probably just Diaz if Langy gets traded to CLE or whomever. Probably not a great pickup unless you're in a really deep or NL only league.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:22 am

Johnson should be a solid producer for the Braves next year in that above-mentioned platoon. Although the sample size is pretty limited since he didn't play all of last year, he had one of the best RFs in the league. With him, A. Jones, and Francour out there, the Braves have one of the best defensive OFs in baseball.

That said, his fantasy impact should be marginal.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers