Return to Baseball Leftovers

Erstad to CF-Kotchman at 1B-Figgins to 3B-Dallas Benched

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Erstad to CF-Kotchman at 1B-Figgins to 3B-Dallas Benched

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:58 pm

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_938458.php

The Angels are switching Darin Erstad back to center field, a long overdue move that gives them considerably more lineup options.

Let's begin by giving the Angels some credit. Moving Erstad, the only player in baseball history to win a Gold Glove at three positions, is an idea whose time had long since come.

"It's our plan to start spring training by playing Erstad in center field," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "We want to give it a long look. We think it gives us a lot more versatility."

What it really gives them is the opportunity for Casey Kotchman, the promising, young prospect, to play every day at first base, Erstad's position the past couple of years.

That means the club is basically trading the departed Steve Finley, last year's center fielder who barely hit .200, for Kotchman, who has the potential to hit .300. You don't have to drag out a major league-sized calculator to realize that's a smart move.

But there is more involved here. If Erstad is in center, leadoff hitter Chone Figgins becomes the third baseman, and where does that leave Dallas McPherson, the kid who was the power hope of the future as recently as a year ago?

Probably on the bench, at least until Scioscia and his coaches are convinced he's 100 percent healthy after that serious hip injury kept him out for most of 2005.

"McPherson could DH for us," Scioscia said, "and if Erstad got hurt and Figgy had to play center, Dallas could play third."

If the manager were to write out a lineup card today, the No.5 hitter in his order probably would be Juan Rivera, the incumbent DH.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 pm

Nice find ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Kotchman would definitely rise up my cheat sheets if he is playing everyday. Nice read ;-D
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:31 pm

Good stuff ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:39 pm

awesome news for those of us considering keeping Kotchman ;-D He hit .339 from September on...
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:52 pm

I was hoping against all odds that the Angels would move Erstad back to the OF, and about a month ago, I traded for Kotchman, who is looking more and more like a steal at 1b. Hopefully, I can expect .285-18-75 from him in my AL only league. That would be a bargain!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:13 pm

I have a feeling Erstad could be gone by ST. I would say McPherson is on the way out, but I think he has very little value right now.

I dunno if Erstad has much, but I think the Angels want to free up some money to go after somebody via a trade or to save money this season to go hard after a pitcher in next years class.

Also, I think they may want to free up the $8 million for Erstad and try to lock Escobar up before he becomes a FA.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby brandnew » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Man, is there another offense out there that is deeper and/or more versatile than the Angels'?

And the Angels need to just stop with Erstad. A .696 OPS is beyond horrendous.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Broncmet724 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Wasn't the reason the Angels put Erstad at first were injury concerns? I believe he was having a lot of issues with hamstrings or something which was the basis for the previous move.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby brandnew » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:07 pm

Hey man go pick again in our draft, you took someone already chosen.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers