Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do I build a great team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do I build a great team?

Postby FBIGUY » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Help me out guys! I am a first timer to the world of Fantasy Baseball.

I have joined a league with my buddies. We have 12 teams on CBS sportsline. We re-draft every year. I have the 8th pick in a snake draft for this 2006 season.

Other than that I am a real rookie....I can't really name much more than the best players in the league. I have played Fantasy Football and am very into that, but have been slow in getting into the Baseball. I need help with general info and draft help. I have no idea where to start....should I go pitcher...2nd 3rd base? How should one go about building a great team.

I do want to be good...but I just don't want to grab a ranking sheet and draft.

Help me out with some of you tips! Thanks a million.
Writing Fantasy Baseball Articles whenever I get a chance and checking my fantasy teams.
FBIGUY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djacks » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:48 pm

First thing you need to do is buy a fantasy baseball magazine or get a cheat sheet.

As far as who to draft, what positions etc...always take the best player available regardless of position for the first 3-4 rounds...then start looking at positions you need to fill. You said this was a re-draft league so you don't need to worry about young "potential" as much. Go with more proven veterans and sure things and look for breakout stars with your late round picks.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice here...and welcome to the Cafe... ;-D
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby FBIGUY » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 pm

I thought I would get me a magazine.....Thanks for the advise on the first few rounds and staying away from reaching on young players....that does sound like a good idea.

Would you try to draft a 2nd and 3rd baseman high in the draft just cuz of the pool of players being so shallow?

I was told by some that OF and 1st are very deep, but locking down a top 2nd and 3rd baseman can help your team a bunch! what is your take on that?
Writing Fantasy Baseball Articles whenever I get a chance and checking my fantasy teams.
FBIGUY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Balance your team and spend alot of time here
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby cubbies1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:04 pm

FBIGUY wrote:Would you try to draft a 2nd and 3rd baseman high in the draft just cuz of the pool of players being so shallow?

I was told by some that OF and 1st are very deep, but locking down a top 2nd and 3rd baseman can help your team a bunch! what is your take on that?

3b isnt that shallow so i wouldnt worry about position scarcity there.
Arod, Wright, MCab, Aramis Ramirez, Blalock, Chavez, Cantu, Chipper, Rolen, Mora

as for 2b i dont think you should go out and TRY to draft a 2b just if it works out that he is the best player on the board, when it is your pick in the first 5 rounds then take him, but i wouldnt take a 2b like utley, unless he was the best player available. and to me that would mean late 2round or early 3rd depending on how the draft goes
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
cubbies1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 pm

come in the cafe during office hours,,like the rest of us. ;-D
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -2)

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:33 pm

3B is one of the deepest positions.... 2B and SS are shallow, but I wouldn't recommend taking a 2B first round or anyone else than Tejada or Young in the first few rounds... I feel like my winning seasons have come form going with your gut feeling and instinct when drafting.. ;-D
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -460)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:43 pm

Don't go with your guts... being new your guts will tell you only about hometown players and former superstars... neither of which will help you all that much... especially playing with friends... start paying attention to a website like rotoworld.com which covers pretty much everything, and definitely get a cheet sheet, then adjust it as new information comes out... like who will start and where they will be in the lineup.... basically look at a lot of different opinions then come to a personal consensus...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby mikhayl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:45 pm

Last year was my first draft and the difficulty was compounded by the fact that I had been on a baseball hiatus for 3 years or so.

Get a magazine, drink a lot of beer, and have fun. Honestly, I went with the best player available (based on draft position in the magazine I bought) for the first four rounds or so and then I switched to drafting for position. My basic strategy was avoid players on teams you don't like because it won't be fun rooting for them, take pitchers with big home stadiums, hitters with small home stadiums, guys you like, and no relief pitchers.

I had a lot of beer and wound up doing ok and more importantly having a good time. Spend time here and you'll be able to do things like snatch up good minor leaguers coming up, replacement closers, and hot hands. It's amazing what you can trade those three assets for.

You probably won't draft great, but manage your team well and spend time on it. It's much more fun when you do well and you can do that even with a mediocre draft.

I decided last year that it wasn't worth the time and effort to make a cheat sheet. But I was an active manager and I wound up in 2nd place.

This year, I'm going wire to wire ;-D
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers