Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do I build a great team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:50 pm

After you develop a general idea you should make a cheat sheet where you: 1) Rank Players by Position, 2) Tier them off in each postion (3B) AROD (tier 1), Wright, Cabrera, Aramis (tier 2), Rolen, Blalock (tier 3).

Make your goal to get as many top tier players as you can. As one is drafted, mark him off your cheat sheet.

While you do this, you should have an idea of the best overall players, especially in the early rounds.

DRAFT FOR VALUE, AND TRADE LATER!!!!
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:16 pm

I think that tiers are a great way to go about it as well. Once a tier is done write it off and switch to another position entirely.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby sockeye » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:59 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I think that tiers are a great way to go about it as well. Once a tier is done write it off and switch to another position entirely.

Amen. I use letter grade tiers instead of numbers: A+, A, A-, B+, etc. Part of the A+ or A criteria is that these guys are healthy as horses AND highly accomplished (Pujols, Abreau, etc). I would never take a B+ guy if an A is still available.

One thing I have to disagree with in this thread is any rigid recipe for when to take picthers, hitters, etc. Sure, Schmidt underperformed last year - so did Beltran. I remember looking at the ranking toward the end of last season and seeing a ton of hitters that were both bad and good surprises (Thome, Ichiro, Beltran, Finley, Morneau, Soriano as bad ones, for starters). If there's a screaming deal at H or P, it would be a mistake to turn it down because of some pre-set quota on X amiunt of Y positions though Z rounds.

The only exception might be RPs. Rarely will you see an RP worth a top 36 pick.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Re: How do I build a great team?

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:47 am

FBIGUY wrote:Help me out guys! I am a first timer to the world of Fantasy Baseball.

I have joined a league with my buddies. We have 12 teams on CBS sportsline. We re-draft every year. I have the 8th pick in a snake draft for this 2006 season.

Other than that I am a real rookie....I can't really name much more than the best players in the league. I have played Fantasy Football and am very into that, but have been slow in getting into the Baseball. I need help with general info and draft help. I have no idea where to start....should I go pitcher...2nd 3rd base? How should one go about building a great team.

I do want to be good...but I just don't want to grab a ranking sheet and draft.

Help me out with some of you tips! Thanks a million.

you have come to the right place
welcome to the cafe
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby FBIGUY » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:02 pm

GUYS THIS HAS BEEN GREAT!!

This is the info I was looking for as I head into my draft! I WILL be getting a magazine....but

WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET?

Also, where can I look for a true value tiering! I would have no idea how to do that!

Thanks again for your help! Keep it coming!
Writing Fantasy Baseball Articles whenever I get a chance and checking my fantasy teams.
FBIGUY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:12 pm

For tiers, you want to get a feel for how many A/B/C/D at each position there are, based on where your projections have them. Just drawing lines on last years #s can get you close but you will see guys you will want to fiddle with. I also like to use a '+' to indicate the crème de la crème...

The reason to do ths is that when drafting, for example, if you don't have a 2B and the last 'A' 2B (if there is such a thing... ;-) ) gets picked, that means you DON'T need to bother w/ a 2B until you get to the bottom of the Bs and can plan accordingly to get A OF or other postions that still have 'A' players available. Or you can blow off 2B altogether, realizing that there's about 6" of difference between B and D 2B whereas in OF the difference may have more impact.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby mikhayl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:36 pm

FBIGUY wrote:GUYS THIS HAS BEEN GREAT!!

This is the info I was looking for as I head into my draft! I WILL be getting a magazine....but

WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET?

Also, where can I look for a true value tiering! I would have no idea how to do that!

Thanks again for your help! Keep it coming!

I enjoyed CBS-Sportsline's fantasy guide last year.

In terms of tiered ranking, just search the cafe for threads with titles like: BB51 Rankings RP or BB51 Rankings 1B.

BronxBomber has been tireless and very helpful in putting forward his own rankings and each list has generated valuable debate and revisions.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:28 pm

a great thing i like to use at the draft as well, for my offical "draft board" is a printout of average draft results from espn.com

i still have my own rankings, notes, etc, but i think that as a master list in front of you is a great resource. make sure to print it out day of draft of course. I think its a good ranking system where its pulled from so many leagues and drafters and works as a great composite for reference.
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:pokey is an idiot dont listen to him.....

Dude he was joking. You really need to calm down.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers