Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do I build a great team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:25 pm

And also some live draft results from a day or two before your draft, to take into consideration the latest developments from spring training, deals, who fell up the stairs onto the DL or whatever.

The first couple of rounds aren't really the big deal as, if you follow baseball a bit, those are easy. It's what you do now AFTER you've got Vlad and ARam or BigTex whoever you end up with in the first couple of rounds that will make the big difference. The end rounds are just as important as the first few rounds but most sources will have top 100 and then positional ranking but tracking down a list that covers (number of roster spots) x (number of teams in your league) will usually be down to two or three hundred players and knowing the ins and outs of who to take then can be MUCH more important to your overall success....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:pokey is an idiot dont listen to him.....

your first 2 picks should be easy! just rank your players 1-13, and take the best combo you can...my top 13

arod
pujols
vlad
teixeira
manny
ortiz
johan (althought i usually dont draft pitchers in the first 2 rounds)
cabrera
abreu

after that it gets alittle merkier...some players to consider...tejada, bay, wright, crawford, utley, derrek lee, etc...just go by nice numbers and definitely use a cheat sheet...rank them by position and go through the top remaining guys from each position and do a process of elimination...good luck to you. are you doing a live-draft or what?

a) Let's not namecall

b) If Tejada is a possibility in the 'merky' area, Michael Young is too, because my money is on him outperforming Miggy.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby silverZ » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:39 pm

Personally With the 8th pick i'd target abreu,santana,manny,ortiz with my first pick. Then a tejada,bay,crawford,young,utley in the 2nd round. Then for the next few rounds its a matter of targeting the best player availible by looking at your cheat sheet. Most cheat sheets have "tiers" for every position, you'll want to get as many 2nd tier players after all the first tier players are gone and so on and so on. Some positions like 2b and SS have bigger drop offs from tier to tier so you'll want to grab a guy like utley over a delgado. Delgado will put up better numbers but its much easier to find a 1B that can put up good numbers then a 2B.

Also I always try to grab a top 5 pitcher in the first 4 rounds to anchor my staff in terms of era/whip. there are always good strikeout pitchers later on and it's always easier to find pitchers on the WW than hitters but if you want to win the era/whip cats you really need a guy that can put up 200+ innings of good era/whip. Having a top 5 closer helps too, i usually target a krod/lidge in the 5th/6th round but lots of people don't agree with me there.

I hope that was coherent....i havent had anything to eat today and its past 12:30.... :*)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby Ender » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:59 pm

I simply cannot stress draft hitters over pitchers in the early rounds enough. The top 20 pitchers every year change way too much to rely on early pitchers. Don't be that guy that comes out of the 5th round with 2 hitters, 2 starters and a closer.

Another important thing is to draft for balance, do not tank a category your first year. You want to be decent in every single stat.

The final thing is to avoid risk and embrace consistancy for at least the first 8-9 rounds. Let some other guy 'take a chance' on Rolen, Bonds and Schilling returning to full health, let someone else assume Howard is going to hit 35+ HR's and draft him too early. You want to build your team around sure things until the late rounds.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:16 pm

Not sure it would be such a bad thing if you end up drafting 2 Sps in the first 5 rounds. I generally don't, unless a great value falls to me. If I can pick-up Oswalt and Peavy in the first 5 and don't have to reach too much, than I'll do it.

Yes, there's random pitchers that become dominant every year. But no one knows who they are, and your best bet is to draft that guys that have a track record of performing well. While Peavy won't necessarily be dominant once again, I'd rather bet on him than say Jason Marquis posting a sub 3 ERA with 20 wins.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby FBIGUY » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 pm

I already know more about the draft than I could have ever thought! You guys are great.

We are having a LIVE DRAFT!

At this point my plan is to Get 2 big bats in the first two rounds...then consider a top notch SP.

Who would you look to get in that area?

I guess this is where the overall rankings come in, but I DO want to come out of the first five with a solid SP.

I just don't know who to target. I am pretty sure I could take the #1 pitcher overall at the 8 spot, I don't think anyone is going to take him in front of me......would that be a smart thing and then just go hitting for the next 5 rds?

Anyone have links to those 200-300 player lists? I can get 100 easy, but the others are hard to find.

This page has been great, but it is hard for me to find what I looking for. Help me out with the rankings. Thanks
Writing Fantasy Baseball Articles whenever I get a chance and checking my fantasy teams.
FBIGUY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bellhornismygod » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:16 pm

For a top notch SP that early I would most definetly pick Johan Santana, he is very reliable for a pitcher.
And once again the great Bellhorn has landed on his feet, $800,000 from the Padres in 2006!
Bellhornismygod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:27 pm

Step 1: Underpants
Step 2: ????????
Step 3: Great team
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Ender » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Santana will go in the first round. Who to get in the 3rd round really depends on who is left. Peavy, Sheets, Oswalt, Pedro, Halladay are the types of names you'll probably be choosing from, though some of them will go in the 2nd round I'm sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:28 pm

I'd also vote to keep a close eye on Santana as, if he's there at the right spot in the first round, I'd go for him over a big bat. I'm wishy washy just yet but possibly in the 4-6 spots, depending on where your name gets pulled out of the hat!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers