Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Set up Man???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:26 am

Oops...shows you how much I pay attention to baseball in the offseason (outside of the Pirates) . :-/ O:-)

Well, whoever is setting up for Cleveland may be good for this year. Riske? Probabaly risky. :-b
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby crapshooter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:13 am

I agree Shields was great last year for the first half of the season anyway. This year I look for Farnsworth to do good with that offense he should pick up quite a few wins.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikhayl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:40 am

Shields and Madson are money. I also think Rincon had an off year and will rebound big time (wins are still hard to predict from RP though, and I like Qualls to improve bigtime from a very strong sophomore season.

Duaner Sanchez should also get a lot of hold opportunities for the Mets and more casual fantasy players may not realize he was traded and has a new role for a good team. Sanchez becomes the main RHP RP and even more valuable if Heilman moves out of the pen
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby chris8 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29 pm

I expect Ayala to do well this year, now he's signed with the Nationals.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:46 pm

Something I like to do in a league that counts holds is get the set-up man for my closer... for example, I have Chad Cordero, so in my draft I will be targeting Ayala... he will get me holds, and if Cordero goes down he will be getting the saves for the Nats as well... Like others have been saying, holds is a tough stat to predict, and if you looked at the yearly leaders its not the same guys each year...
Another thing to think about is the main relievers for St. louis... LaRussa uses a lot of relievers based on matchups so this facilitates pitchers getting a lot of holds, since they only face one batter... that means I would bump up both rincon and looper in the rankings, because LaRussa will use them in advantageous matchups and not use them i weaker ones...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby lostraven » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:51 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:LaRussa uses a lot of relievers based on matchups so this facilitates pitchers getting a lot of holds, since they only face one batter... that means I would bump up both rincon and looper in the rankings, because LaRussa will use them in advantageous matchups and not use them i weaker ones...

;-D

Good call on this. I definitely have Looper up to mid-tier on the
holds cat'. I hadn't considered Rincon though.

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:06 pm

I think if Dotel can pitch this year, he'll be good.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:38 pm

lostraven wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:LaRussa uses a lot of relievers based on matchups so this facilitates pitchers getting a lot of holds, since they only face one batter... that means I would bump up both rincon and looper in the rankings, because LaRussa will use them in advantageous matchups and not use them i weaker ones...

;-D

-ShawnD

If you look in Bill James' Handbook he gives you information on the number of pitching changes different managers make, a reasonable idea of the holds opportunities in a team.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:39 am

sounds like that would be a good stat to know... who else had a high number last year... just looking at holds numbers I would imagine Eric Wedge's managing of the Indians probably had a lot...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:08 am

lostraven wrote:

;-D

-ShawnD

i also have looper in the mid tier. larussa will likely limit his appearances vs. lefties which should result in solid era and whip. unfortunately his k/9 is pretty average.

i am not crazy about rincon though. i think flores will be the top lefty out of the pen for the cards.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers