Return to Baseball Leftovers

Minimum IP or minimum SP in roto 5x5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minimum IP or minimum SP in roto 5x5

Postby stealthrunner » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 am

My league is about 10 years old. I am just entering my second season in league. It is Roto 5x5, with NL only 300 auction. You can keep someone 3 seasons and extend them a couple of extra season for $5 more per year. We start 15 position players and 10 pitchers.

We have qualifications such as to qualify Adam Dunn at 1b he had to play 20 games at 1b in the previous season or 15 games in the current season.

Now we have no qualifications as a pitcher. One owner has a great strategy that has worked for the last 2 seasons. Load up on closers and position players, and not spending any money on SP. He has finished 1st and 2nd the last 2 seasons. We are debating whether there should be a minimum number of IP or minimum number of SP on team. Last season he had 948 IP and the league average for everyone else was around 1550 IP. He punted Wins and SO, but took the extra money from SP and put into other positions.

The league is divided on whether or not to institute a new rule. One arguement is that a real life GM could not load up on RP only. The other arguement is that he is doing nothing wrong and we can adapt to his strategy or maybe get better deals on SP.

What do you do in your league for minimum IP or minimum SP, RP and flex? How do you qualify it?

Thanks for the input.
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stealthrunner » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:28 pm

Anyone?
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dannahann » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:25 pm

Our keeper roto league utilizes an IP slot (1200 min - 1500 max). If you fail to reach 1200 IP you're assigned a 1 in both ERA and WHIP. We've never had to implement the penalty and the policy has worked well in conjunction with our roster limitations. Only 3 of our daily lineup slots can be occupied by a pitcher with only RP eligibility, our daily allotment being 5SP, 2RP, and 1P slot.
Being a 10 year league, I'm not sure how fair it might be to completely revamp your rules? Have you aready held your auction/draft or named your 2006 keepers yet? Is the guy utilizing the strategy the type who wants whats best for the league's future, or himself? All depends what type guy he is and if he'll make the league less enjoyable if the rules are rewritten?
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Baseball Leftovers