Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's so bad about Todd Walker?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's so bad about Todd Walker?

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:52 pm

All this talk about how Todd Walker doesn't fit with the Cubs and is 3rd on the depth chart behind Neifi and Hairston is really pissing me off. Walker's range may not be the best, but he plays perfectly adequate defense and it's not like the SS part of the DP combo will be lacking whether is Cedeno or Perez over there on any given day. Hairston's D appears to be fine, but nothing to get excited about. So with defense not being an overriding issue, that leaves offense.

Here's what i think could be very reasonable expectations for 145 GP:

Walker: 75-14-65-.290-.345-.810 45BB 68K 2SB@50%

Neifi: 70-7-50-.275-.300-.680 25BB 65K 6SB@50%

Hairston: 70-7-45-.265-.335-.700 45BB 65K 18SB@65%

what the F am i missing? Is there any reason for me not to leave a flaming garbage bag full of poop on Hendry's doorstep if he keeps one of these 2 space-fillers over Walker? Lets not even get into the fact that Neifi will hit .380 for 2 non-adjacent months and hang around .200 otherwise. Seriously, what gives?
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dcskater619 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:23 pm

exactly..as a die hard cubs fan ive always loved todd walker playing 2nd base and batting in the 2 spot. Pierre, Walker, Lee, Ramirez, Jones, Barrett sounded like one hell of a lineup with the pitching we have then i hear this BS about a platoon of perez/hairston..im upset about this too but i dunno wtf hendry is thinking
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:27 pm

I'd love to see Todd Walker on the Tigers, I'll say that much. I like Walker. He's a fine player. You could make an issue for Hairston, but I just don't like Neifi Perez that much. He's a nice utility player, but not much else to me.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:47 pm

Todd Walker is like cornbread.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Way to go Dusty... you really know how to run a team. Walker should be playing everyday and thats all I have to say as a cubs fan.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:12 pm

I'll be shocked if Walker is riding the pine on opening day.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:41 pm

shortsavage wrote:I'll be shocked if Walker is riding the pine on opening day.

I wish I could say the same, but from everything I have read and heard, I would be shocked if Walker is in a Cubs uniform on Opening Day. I agree with the other posters that I don't know what it is about Walker that 'doesn't fit' with the organization.

Here is the latest:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp
Daily Herald wrote:Whither Walker? The Cubs continue to work behind the scenes to trade second baseman Todd Walker. As of now, Neifi Perez and Jerry Hairston Jr. look to share time at second, with Ronny Cedeno opening at shortstop.

“I think that right now we have three second basemen,” Jim Hendry said. “If that’s the way we go into camp, then I think that’s up to the three of them to compete and try to win playing time. Obviously, Neifi is a valuable guy because not only is he an outstanding defender, he can play both spots easily. Ronny can play both, although obviously he’s played short a lot more.”

The Cubs expressed happiness with Hairston’s second half in 2005. They obtained him a year ago from Baltimore in the Sammy Sosa trade.

“I think you’ll se a greatly improved guy in spring training,” Hendry said. “He came in here with some nicks and hadn’t quite fully recovered from his injuries. And we knew that when we made the Sosa trade. I think he’s been extremely committed in the off-season to coming here and trying to win a job.”

I completely understand favoring someone who can play multiple postions when they aren't starting, but if Walker is the every day 2B (which he should be), why would the Cubs worry that he can't play short as well? :-t

The next sentence in the article:
Daily Herald wrote:Mum’s the word: It’s possible the Cubs will give Jim Hendry a contract extension in the coming weeks.

Based on what accomplishments? I used to be a huge Hendry fan and I'll cut him some slack because of injury, but I think he should use this season to prove his worth for an extension.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:10 pm

I think that there are concerns about his durability, if he does get the job too. Even on a weekly basis, I think he's better playing 3 or 4 games/ week. I agree that the Cubs ought to keep him for the bat though.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby lostraven » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:35 pm

As much as I despise the Cubs, I tend to agree that Walker has
gotten the grand shaft. As it's been pointed out though, there are
health concerns for Walker. Still, he deserves four starts a week
with someone filling in at second the other couple of games. The
Neifi/Hairston love affair seems a bit much.

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers