Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera #1 OF in 2006?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cabrera #1 OF in 2006?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:27 pm

thinkspin wrote:
shortsavage wrote:I know he's switching back to 3B, but Miguel Cabrera will still be outfield eligible in 2006. If he racks up 600+ at bats again in his third full major league season, is Cabrera a favorite to be the most valuable outfielder in fantasy baseball?

I am not someone who drafts based on position scarcity, but I do know that I would laugh at anyone who put Cabrera in the OF. Same for Figgins, Huff, or Freel.

Why would you want to do this?

Because it can be argued that OF is a more shallow position than 3B. There are easily 12 good third baseman, you can can wait until the middle rounds to take one.

Outfielder is deep too, but you have to remember, you need to fill 3 of these position. If you waited until the middle rounds to take your first outfielder, your team probably isn't very good. You can easily get a guy like M-Cab in the first round and put him in the OF, and then snag an average but start-able 3B like Melvin Mora, Blalock, Glaus later in the draft to play 3B.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby domination » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:33 pm

the point of a muti-position player is the option to have them somewhere else, to help draft decisions later and an easy to manage team durring the season. you draft huff when you get him, then later on in the draft you can decide to get another OF or if a good 1B is there take him. with miggy you be happy to have him anywhere on your team, but vladi and manny still better OF.
Fear is the mind killer.
domination
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:45 pm

To answer the original question, yes, Vlad and Manny are both better than M-Cab. I have ranked 3rd but I wouldn't be opposed to someone taking Abreu or Bay over him either.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:50 pm

Players I'd rather have at OF this year than Cabrera:

Vladdy
Man-Ram
Jason Bay

But I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys more valuable when all is said and done, as well:

Sheffield
Beltran (See: Homer)
Abreu
Jones, Andruw
Dunn
Berkman
Bonds

Now, these aren't predictions or anything, but any of those above could finish more valuable, fantasy-wise, than M-Cab and what he has to work with in Florida.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:55 pm

I think sheff will always be up there with Manny and Vlad
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:29 pm

gotta go Vlad over M.Cab
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:16 pm

#s from last year put those guys above MCab BUT Manny and Vlad ain't what they used to be and I kind of think that the wheels could come off their busses at any moment and am a bit gun shy of them.

MCab has been trending up and Vlad and Manny weren't quite what they used to be, just a couple of years ago. Maybe it's just within the margin of error and they'll go back up this year but, sooner or later, MCab should catch them. Maybe not quite this year but it may be close...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:28 pm

Vlad and Manny, but Cabs certainly has the potential to pass them in a couple years if he keeps that eligibilty. I don't think he'll suffer from the firesale as much as everyone else does. His talent is off the charts.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 pm

bigken117 wrote:Vlad and Manny, but Cabs certainly has the potential to pass them in a couple years if he keeps that eligibilty. I don't think he'll suffer from the firesale as much as everyone else does. His talent is off the charts.

Jeremy Hermida's presence will pad the firesale, too. I think he's the only guy who stands a chance of beating Matt Cain out for Rookie of the Year.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby dcskater619 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:55 am

no way mcab goes ahead of them this year..his runs and rbi will suffer from his new team, and that on top of the fact he doesnt steal bases at all makes manny and vlad MUCH more valuable..in a one year league id take abreu over him as well
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers