Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bagwell asked by Astros to retire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bagwell asked by Astros to retire

Postby thedude » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:57 pm

The Astros have asked Bags to retire, despite his wishes to continue playing.

ESPN.com wrote:Updated: Jan. 11, 2006, 4:58 PM ET
Report: Astros ask Bagwell to retireESPN.com news services

Jeff Bagwell intends to play for the Astros this season, but the team isn't sure that's the best financial decision.

The first baseman has played his entire career in Houston and leads the franchise in home runs (449) and RBI (1,529), but missed much of last season after shoulder surgery.

"Nothing is going to keep me from attempting to play baseball next season," Bagwell told the Houston Chronicle.

The team, however, wants him to announce he can't play anymore, he and agent Barry Axelrod told the paper. Then the Astros would be able make an insurance claim for $15.6 million of the approximately $17 million he is owed in 2006.

"We're trying to get some objective information," Astros general manager Tim Purpura told the paper. "A healthy Jeff Bagwell is what we want. If he can't be a full-time player, we have to figure out if we can collect on the insurance or not."

To that end, the team has asked Bagwell to visit orthopedist Dr. James Andrews' office on Thursday in Birmingham, Ala., the Chronicle reported. The deadline for the insurance claim is Jan. 31.

Bagwell isn't excited about the trip, and he's not ready to quit playing.

"There's no question in my mind I can hit," he told the paper. "It's whether or not I can throw for a full season. Everything has gone exactly the way I thought it should. I'm getting stronger. Am I able to throw 120 feet? No. Am I making progress? Very much so.

"I'm going to try and play baseball at spring training. There's no getting around that. Unless something major happens, I'll be there."

Last edited by thedude on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:16 pm

:-t
we kept him last year when he couldnt even play now when hes almsot close to ready again we dont want him :-t At least let him play this year then buy his contract out . :-t For all bagwell did for us this is how we treat him :-t .
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:20 pm

:-t this is not how you treat one of the faces of your franchise. :-t :-t what a joke.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby thedude » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:20 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Cant blame the Astros in this situation. 17 million for a part-time player is not worth it. I wouldnt be surprised if Bagwell signs with an AL team so he can DH.

It is a sad situation and another reason i like the DH. If the Astros were an AL team they wouldn't be forced to ask the face of their franchise to retire...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
swingaway wrote::-t
we kept him last year when he couldnt even play now when hes almsot close to ready again we dont want him :-t At least let him play this year then buy his contract out . :-t For all bagwell did for us this is how we treat him :-t .

17 million for a player who cant throw. Who knows if he will ever regain all of his health. At some point, Bagwell has to realize that he is negatively impacting the Astros organization and needs to DH in the AL.

The Astros were involved in creating this contract though. Why should Bagwell attempt to have it voided?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby swingaway » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm

we held on 2 him this long why get rid of him now?
Jut so the owner can save money for himself?
I know his contract is bad but what are we gong to do with extra cash its not like their is anyone worth while in free agency at this point.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:25 pm

I'm not sure how Bagwells contract works, but isnt the $17 million only counting against the Astros '06 budget? Most of the top FA are already gone, so unless the Astros plan on making a trade for a player with a heavy contract, why are they asking for him to retire?
Last edited by cordscords on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby swingaway » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:29 pm

cordscords wrote:I'm not sure how Bagwells contract works, but isnt the $17 million only counting against the Astros '06 contract? Most of the top FA are already gone, so unless the Astros plan on making a trade for a player with a heavy contract, why are they asking for him to retire?

exactly theres a buyout after the 2006 season thats like 500k or something.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers