Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's Not Easy NOT Being Green.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It's Not Easy NOT Being Green.

Postby J_Cuz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Will the restriction of standard issue amphetamines adversely affect some player's fantasy stats?

Unlike steroids, amphetamines had been a major part of the MLB game for the past forty years. They had not carried the same nagative stigma of steroids and many, many more players had used the drug than had used steroids, if only because the use of amphetamines had been as open as the use of what Jose Canseco termed, "road meat."

Now, with the strict testing policies adopted by MLB this season in place, will fantasy owners be as mindful of the likely reduction in statistics from likely amphetmaine users as they were steroid users last season? After all, anyone who aggresively persued likely 'roid users like Brett Boone, Sosa, and Palmeiro lost BIG TIME in '05, might the same falloff for prominent amphetamine users occur in '06?

And if so, who are the most likely victims of the new testing measures? While last season we were able to somewhat predict a decline from unusually large power hitters (many of whom were conveniently named by Jose Canseco prior to the season), amphetamine use appears to have been more widespread steroids and less easy to aesthetically detect by a player's physical appearance.

That being said, it is my perspective that a natural fall-off in statistics can be best predicted for aging relievers and infielders. Why? Simply because relievers are the ones most typically associated with speed drugs of which caffine and amphetamines are classified. As far as middle infield and third base is concerned, and I am only hypothesizing here, such players are typically on the lookout for new ways to sharpen their hand-eye coordination in order to gain a needed edge in the field, especially as they are aging.

Therefore, as MLB's drug policy gets more stringent with each passing year it only serves to BENEFIT the fantasy owner who tends towards YOUTH when they draft, as many of the old-hat playing field equalizers that have served a crutch for the established veterans are being removed from the game.

Here's the article. Turn on the fog lamp in the lighthouse and may the lookout begin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=2289509
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:47 pm

The potential fallacy here that you are assuming the uppers make some sort of big performance difference. I would postulate that they have no greater effect than a guy who drinks a lot of coffee. I don't see this being something to consider. Just my 2 cents.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:51 pm

i can't see the effect being any different than ephedra, which should never have been banned.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby J_Cuz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:52 pm

Pete Rose played till he was 46, couldn't have done it without 'em.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:23 pm

I posted a thread about this too, I was thinking that SP may be the 'winners' in value terms, as they are the players w/ scheduled downtime already and will see a boost as the year drags on. The youth angle is a good one too although 162 games is probably rough at any age!!

I think that there IS an advantage to using it though, as the military uses them in certain situations and I'd have to presume that they'd have done some research to back that up.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 pm

I think Jose Guillen will be less insane
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero