Return to Baseball Leftovers

B. Molina may sit out 2006.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

B. Molina may sit out 2006.

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:51 pm

I don't know if I believe him, but its interesting.

Catcher Molina no longer on radar

By Tony Jackson, L.A. Daily News Staff Writer
Inside SOCAL

The Dodgers' pursuit of free-agent catcher Bengie Molina has ended for now, apparently without the club having made a formal offer to the former Angels Gold Glove winner.
Meanwhile, Molina told the Yuma (Ariz.) Sun over the weekend that he will sit out the upcoming season if he doesn't receive the salary he is seeking, which is believed to be in the $6-million range.

"I think I have done enough to deserve something," Molina told the paper on Saturday, while attending an alumni game at Arizona Western Community College. "If I don't get that type of deal, I think I'm willing to sit out and see what happens next year. I hope it doesn't come to that."

Despite the fact he is among the best available players in this winter's unusually thin free-agent market, Molina strangely remains unsigned. The Dodgers' interest in him had more to do with his stature as a player than any need the club was trying to address. The Dodgers already have Dioner Navarro, who was solid enough last season to take over the everyday job as a rookie, and six-time All-Star Sandy Alomar as Navarro's backup. And prospect Russell Martin, whom some in the organization believe is a better all-around player than Navarro, is no more than a year away.

Thus, the club's interest subsided when it became clear that Molina was looking for more money than the Dodgers - who already have about $86.53 million committed to 19 players - were willing to pay him.

"I got a pretty good idea of what they were looking for, and it's not something we're inclined to do right now," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Sunday. "We're fine, in my mind, if we open the season with Navarro and Alomar and if we have Russell Martin at Triple-A gaining more experience. That won't bother me one bit."

Alan Nero, Molina's Chicago-based agent, said Sunday he was unaware the Dodgers no longer were interested in his client.

Although there have been widespread reports Molina spurned a three-year, $18 million offer from the New York Mets in early December, a source said Sunday the Mets actually pulled that offer without giving Molina a chance to turn it down when they acquired veteran catcher Paul Lo Duca from Florida on Dec. 5.

Molina, 31, became a free agent last fall when the Angels declined even to make him an offer following his sixth season as their primary catcher. At the time, Molina was coming off arguably his best year offensively, having batted a career-high .295, hit a career-high 15 homers and driven in 69 runs.

But Angels officials were convinced their young catching corps of Jose Molina and prospects Jeff Mathis and Mike Napoli was strong enough that they could withstand losing Bengie Molina, and that the money it would have taken to re-sign him would be better spent elsewhere.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:54 pm

A very poor bluff. Who is going oto sit out instead of get paid 3-4M?

Plus sitting out will hurt not help his 07 value.

And of course the Mets pulled the offer after they signed Lo Duca...would have been crazy not to.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:01 pm

baseball teams are starting to follow the lead of fantasy owners 'hmmm, 6 mil for Bengie or 350K for [insert yutzie minor league C who will hit .236 w/ 4 HR and 43 RBI...]'
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby slickterp » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:22 pm

i'll see what happens next year? you'll suck, that's what will happen. not hitting major league pitching for a year? that should be helpful to your velue. you don't "deserve" anything.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:24 pm

How does he think that sitting out will help his value next year? The FA C list was really short this year and he couldn't get what he wanted. He should sign a one year contract, show what he has and then make another go at it next offseason to try and land the big deal.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Thursday » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:29 pm

Hardly any fantasy implication here. Sure, some fantasy owners had him on their team, but we all know it was merely out of neccesity.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 pm

What are they paying for Catchers in Japan these days? :-?
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:50 pm

He was hardly a bad hitting C last year. .295 with 15 HR is nothing to sneeze at.

Sure, he was no Varitek, but he out-hit Javy Lopez, I-Rod, etc. He was a borderline top 5 C last year.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:52 pm

George_Foreman wrote:He was hardly a bad hitting C last year. .295 with 15 HR is nothing to sneeze at.

Sure, he was no Varitek, but he out-hit Javy Lopez, I-Rod, etc. He was a borderline top 5 C last year.

How did his pitching staff perform? Isn't the catcher a defensive position.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:56 pm

Heh. Perhaps I should have included a quote. I was responding the the fellow who claimed that Molina sitting out didn't have fantasy implications. I was just disagreeing and giving a rationale. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers