Return to Baseball Leftovers

B. Molina may sit out 2006.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:59 am

TheYanks04 wrote:8 pages on Molina and Zaun.

Better than 8 pages on ARod and 15 post season at bats. :-°
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 5826
(Past Year: -328)
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:21 am

Havok1517 wrote:As a reserve catcher to Charles Johnson, yeah that is funny, lol. I think you're wrong and I believe most people think u are too. Oh well :-)


who else is leaping into the Pro-Molina camp? I've not seen it. I'd not really bothered thinking about C at all yet but I'd consider Zaun or Molina. Molina is a bigger name though so I'd probably have to grab him a round or two before Zaun so Zaun is looking like a decent bargain, given that the preponderance of the statistical evidence is that he is, in fact, better than Molina. Neither one is going to make or break my team but picking someone else instead of Molina in those middle rounds could provide a nice boost... :-)

Thanks to the pro-Zaun guys for all the numbers though, interesting stuff... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4152
(Past Year: -18)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:38 am

8 pages on Molina and Zaun.


Exactly. Guys are starting to get a little hot under the collar and Molina could end up the the Swallows in Japan. Come on guys. Ease up a little.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 5369
(Past Year: 718)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:As a reserve catcher to Charles Johnson, yeah that is funny, lol. I think you're wrong and I believe most people think u are too. Oh well :-)


who else is leaping into the Pro-Molina camp? I've not seen it. I'd not really bothered thinking about C at all yet but I'd consider Zaun or Molina. Molina is a bigger name though so I'd probably have to grab him a round or two before Zaun so Zaun is looking like a decent bargain, given that the preponderance of the statistical evidence is that he is, in fact, better than Molina. Neither one is going to make or break my team but picking someone else instead of Molina in those middle rounds could provide a nice boost... :-)

Thanks to the pro-Zaun guys for all the numbers though, interesting stuff... ;-D


Explain to me how in a 5 x 5 league Zaun is better than Molina?

I believe Molina is the better player, but I am not arguing about him or Zaun. All I am saying is that IF, and that's an if I don't even think will happen, the Jays sign Molina for $4 million, he will play 115+ games if healthy.

There is no way JP signs him for that much money to not play a lot. I know Weir and some other Jay fans on here are saying otherwise, but in all respect what you guys say about playing time of these players doesn't mean crap. We as fans aren't privy to the inside information, like we sometimes think we are.

In closing, I would like to say that I don't see Toronto will sign Molina for all these reasons, therefore, making this all arbitrary.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4033
(Past Year: -25)
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:16 pm

Phatferd wrote:Explain to me how in a 5 x 5 league Zaun is better than Molina?


There's a bunch of interesting stuff in the thread, look for MWeir and davidmarver in particular, spelling it out.

Really, they are kind of peas in the pod except that, assuming Molina does play somewhere, Molina would have a bigger name and probably go a round or two ahead of Zaun for very similar #s.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4152
(Past Year: -18)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Phatferd wrote:All I am saying is that IF, and that's an if I don't even think will happen, the Jays sign Molina for $4 million, he will play 115+ games if healthy.

Considering Molina's bad numbers agaisnt right-handed pitching, and Zaun's current leadership position on the team, I don't see him playing anywhere near that amount if he signs in Toronto. That isn't just an assumption, it's common sense.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16464
(Past Year: -320)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:35 pm

It has nothing to do with stats Weir.

If the Jays pay $4 million, they are not going to pay that amount of money to a guy playing 100 games. It has nothing to do with BA against RHP, LHP, RISP, etc...

It's all about the money. Because of this I believe he will not sign there.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4033
(Past Year: -25)
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:56 pm

Phatferd wrote:It has nothing to do with stats Weir.

If the Jays pay $4 million, they are not going to pay that amount of money to a guy playing 100 games. It has nothing to do with BA against RHP, LHP, RISP, etc...

It's all about the money. Because of this I believe he will not sign there.

JP decided earlier this winter to pay about 70% of Cory Koskie's salary to play for the Brewers. He will also pay Eric Hinske a lot of money to mostly sit on the bench, and stink up the joint when he does play.

JP's been throwing money around a lot this winter, but the only way it makes sense for him to sign Molina here is if he can get him for less than what the market should bear for him. The Mets' $6M/year offer earlier this winter was indicative of what the market probably should have been for him. If the Jays could (hypothetically) get him for $4M then this would be a bargain they would have to look into. The fact they haven't gone after Molina harder is evidence that he isn't a major priority for them--remember how aggressively he went after Burnett and BJ Ryan earlier, and then how he went after the Glaus-ODog deal with Arizona. Given the lack of interest other teams have had in Molina lately, if JP really wanted Molina so badly, he would've already had him by now. And the reason catcher isn't a huge priority for the Jays is because Zaun has done a great job for them, and they are very happy with his work. The fact Molina would make a decent salary will in no way displace Gregg Zaun from a significant role on this team. If salary were all that mattered, then Eric Hinske would be an everyday player on this team.. :-P :-L
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1676
(Past Year: -32)
Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:02 pm

Hinkie and Koskie' contracts has nothing to do with a potential Molina signing.

Those two guys were already under contract, which means you have very limited options when trying to deal them. Molina would have to be signed and if reports are true that $4 million is the asking price, then I don't see JP signing him to be a part time player.

There is a big difference between paying most of an existing contract to get rid of player than signing a player to a high contract to be a backup...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4033
(Past Year: -25)
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:16 pm

Phatferd wrote:It has nothing to do with stats Weir.

If the Jays pay $4 million, they are not going to pay that amount of money to a guy playing 100 games. It has nothing to do with BA against RHP, LHP, RISP, etc...

It's all about the money. Because of this I believe he will not sign there.

I still can't see them playing Molina agaisnt right-handed pitchers when he's terrible agaisnt them. The Jays wouldn't be paying Zaun 1 million to just be a backup, they would just find somebody else in their system for cheaper (Quiroz, Phillips..etc). And how do we know J.P. isn't looking at this situation like some kind of $5 million platoon between the two of them? When they already have a good catcher (both offensively and defensively) in Zaun to bat agaisnt righties, it really doesn't make sense to not use him.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16464
(Past Year: -320)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests

cron