Return to Baseball Leftovers

B. Molina may sit out 2006.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:05 pm

I also think the team has the intention to play him full time based on the option year at $7.5 million.

Why even add an option year if you plan on using him as a part time player for 1 year?

No way does he make $5 million to play less than 120 games if healthy.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:06 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... &fext=.jsp

1 year deal 5-7.5 million with the Blue Jays. Not a bad move on the Jays part.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Interesting...nice he found somewhere to play I suppose. I hope it works out for them all.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:43 pm

Phatferd wrote:Are you still telling me Weir that Molina will make $5 million to be a part-time player?

I just don't see it.

If this is in fact true (and usually Rosenthal reports the truth), I'd expect Molina to catch 110-120 games if he stays healthy. It's simple, he won't be brought in to hit agaisnt the tougher right-handed pitchers when they already have somebody that can do that job better in Zaun.

This signing will help a bit, and gain a few more wins for the team next year, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to spend 5 million. It seems like a bit of a waste in resources in that they already had Phillips, a guy who can hit fairly well agaisnt lefties. What are they going to do if Rios has another terrible season? It would just mean a huge hole in RF, with nobody to fill it.

And hopefully this option year is a mutual/team option and not a player, but if it is, JP has just added more future risk to this off-season. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the case. An added 7.5 million to the payroll next year also makes it harder to sign Wells and Halladay to long-term extensions, which is what their focus should be right now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Time to give some credit where credit is due.

mweir wrote:I'd expect Molina to catch 110-120 games if he stays healthy. It's simple, he won't be brought in to hit agaisnt the tougher right-handed pitchers when they already have somebody that can do that job better in Zaun.

Right now Molina has caught in 59 of 90 games, putting him on pace to catch in 106 games. He's played in 63 of 90 games, putting him on pace to play in 113 games.

As to the Zaun v. Molina argument:
<pre>VS RHP AB R 2B HR RBI BB K .AVG .OBP .SLG .OPS
Molina 139 14 8 3 12 9 15 .259 .311 .381 .693
Zaun 120 20 8 7 23 15 17 .308 .381 .550 .931</pre>
If that doesn't show that Zaun is hitting righties better and that he and Molina are a healthy platoon even though Molina was brought in for a steep price, I don't know what will.

Kudos to mweir. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Keep in mind that Zaun was also injured for 2 weeks at the beginning of the season when you take those numbers into account. I only wish the Jays would start playing Zaun more agaisnt right handers as he's clearly heads and shoulders above Molina in that respect. Molina has also become a liability defensively as well (even more than Zaun, which is saying something).

At the time I thought spending that cash on Molina was a waste in resources (as they had Jason Phillips who could basically do the job in a platoon with Zaun), and I still think that's the case. That money could have been saved, and used at the trade deadline, which would be especially useful if the Jays remain in a buyer mode.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:55 pm

Bengie Molina is frustrated about his lack of playing time in the last few weeks:

Bengie Molina understands the situation, but that doesn't mean he's happy about it. The Blue Jays catcher stood at his locker in the visitors' clubhouse at Yankee Stadium on Thursday morning and decided to let out some of the frustration that has built up inside him this season.
The thoughts that Molina poured out came after Toronto has started to limit his playing time behind the plate. In the last week, Molina has started as the catcher just once, while Gregg Zaun has started four times at the position. During that same span, there was a five-day stretch in which Molina saw no action as the catcher.

That isn't the kind of playing time Molina expected when he signed a $4.5 million deal with the Blue Jays in February. Before the most recent stretch, Molina started roughly two-thirds of the time.

"I've wanted to say this for the long time," Molina said in a wide-ranging interview. "I always have been the No. 1 guy. I thought I was going to come in here and be the No. 1 guy, but I also had it in the back of my mind that [catcher Gregg Zaun] had a good year last year and we were probably going to split time.

"There's nothing wrong with splitting time," he added. "But five days without catching? That's almost like an insult and disrespectful towards me. I don't think they see it that way."

Molina, who is hitting .278 with eight home runs and 27 RBIs, has appeared in 67 games, including 66 starts, as Toronto's catcher. He's on pace to start behind the plate in 98 games, which would be the fewest he's had since logging 89 starts at the position in 2004. Out of the last four seasons with the Angels, Molina started 100-plus games at catcher three times, though.

"I'll never disrepect Zaun. He deserves to play, too," said Molina, who also said he wasn't angry at Jays manager John Gibbons. "But I was expecting to play more. I was expecting to play every day. In Anaheim, I would play five out of six, or six out of seven games."

If the recent trend persists, Molina said the likelihood of him returning to Toronto next season would decrease. Even if he does get more starts at catcher, though, it's unlikely that the Jays and Molina will decide to pick up his $7.5 million mutual option for next season, considering the payroll constraints Toronto will face.

"When I came here, I saw the opportunity to have a chance to win with a great team," Molina said. "I also saw the opportunity of staying two or three more years. I didn't come here to leave after one year, but if that's the case, I'm not afraid of moving. I'm not afraid of new challenges. We just have to sit down and see what the plans are."

When Gibbons was asked about Molina's decreased playing time on Wednesday, he dodged the question, saying, "There's nothing behind that." When Zaun was asked if Gibbons had told him he'd be getting more time behind the plate, he said his manager hadn't said a word to him about the subject.

Molina's critics have cited a decline in defensive performance this year as a reason to turn to Zaun more often. That's something that Molina is tired of hearing about.

"From what I read in the papers, [I'm not starting] because my defense is going down," Molina said. "I'm thinking, 'What is that based on?' Seven passed balls with five balls that probably could've gone either way -- wild pitches, or we got crossed up.

"I'm still throwing 1.8 [seconds] to second base," he added. "Since 2000, when I came up, I was at 1.8 and 1.9. So how is my defense decreasing?"

Molina -- a two-time Gold Glove winner with the Angels -- has posted a .996 fielding percentage this year with three errors. Zaun entered Thursday with a .991 fielding percentage and three errors in 48 games.

Molina said that his decreased playing time hasn't just affected his offense, it's also hindered his production in the field.

"I think it affects everything, but I'm not trying to make excuses," Molina said. "Like yesterday, five days without catching and I didn't know how to move. People think my defense is decreasing or I'm not as sharp. How the hell would they know what I'm going through? They don't know that. It's really hard."

McGowan still starting Saturday: Gibbons had right-hander Dustin McGowan, who started on Saturday in Oakland, enter Wednesday's game in relief during the sixth inning, but that didn't mean the young pitcher was moving back into the bullpen. Wednesday was McGowan's regular side throwing day and Gibbons said the pitcher is still slated to start on Saturday against the White Sox.

"We like him in that role, too," said Gibbons, referring to using McGowan as a reliever. "He pitched good earlier in the year there and he pitched well coming out of the bullpen last year."

Roberts makes first hit count: Toronto rookie second baseman Ryan Roberts, who had his contract purchased from Triple-A Syracuse by the Jays on Sunday, made his first Major League start on Thursday. In the fourth inning, Roberts belted the first pitch he saw from Cory Lidle into Monument Park for a solo home run -- his first career hit in the big leagues.

Roberts was called up to replace a struggling Russ Adams. Aaron Hill started at shortstop, giving John McDonald the day off.

Quotable: "If it's going to be like this, it's not a really good situation for Bengie Molina." -- Molina

Coming up: Toronto right-hander Roy Halladay (13-2, 3.04 ERA) will face Chicago righty Jon Garland (11-3, 5.01 ERA) when the Blue Jays host the White Sox at 7:07 p.m. on Friday at the Rogers Centre.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb[/quote]

Having watched both of these guys play this year, there's no question who's been better defensively (Zaun) even though both of them have been rather unimpressive in that area. I think Gibbons has been right to limit his PT in the last few weeks because he's been a defensive liability for us, and that's without even taking into account his subpar offense agaisnt RHP.

Code: Select all
                         Molina                    Zaun

games              76                         63

AB                  281                       185

HR                   8                           7

RBI                  27                         24

BB                   15                         30

OBP                .317                      .370

SLG                .406                      .449

AVG                .278                      .270

As you can see, offensively Zaun is also clearly superior to Molina. If Bengie wants to play more than just DHing or catching agaisnt left handed pitching, he's going to have to prove it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers