Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers based on Yahoo rankings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Wyatt » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:10 am

Not sure how yahoo comes up with thier rankings but their always so laughable Hopefully alot of guys use them in leagues I draft in.

I noticed where some guys had eligibilty & didn't think they played 10 games but I just ran a program from another site to get my results.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:27 pm

Wyatt wrote:Not sure how yahoo comes up with thier rankings but their always so laughable Hopefully alot of guys use them in leagues I draft in.

I noticed where some guys had eligibilty & didn't think they played 10 games but I just ran a program from another site to get my results.

Generally Yahoo doesn't do the worst job in the world at ranking the top say 60 (Haven't checked this years, but last years wasn't terrible.)

However, when ranking the depth of a position it gets pretty bad... Can definitely take advantage of the whole system if you have at least a little knowledge.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby JoeMoney19 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:30 pm

[quote="The_Met_Threat"]Im gonna add Beltran, Bonds, Valverde and Gonzalez to your lists.[/quote]

which gonzalez are you talkin about?
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Big Tiex » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:37 pm

I don't think you could consider Diamondbacks Gonzolez a sleeper. So i hope thats not who he was thinking of, does anyone else got anymore. I like D.Cabrera, Zimmerman, and Herm
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:52 pm

Corey Patterson
&
J.Hermida! ;-D
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby chris8 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:06 pm

JoeMoney19 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:Im gonna add Beltran, Bonds, Valverde and Gonzalez to your lists.

which gonzalez are you talkin about?

Probably thinking of Mike Gonzalez - he's ranked a fair bit lower than I have him.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:11 pm

j24jags wrote:atkins-137
c guillen-204
capuano-160

Those are pretty high actually especially the Capuano one, 3 good months at the end of the year for a pitcher that doesn't have anythign special should not be put at 160, and he should definitely not be put in front of Bonderman, Kazmir, or C. Young. Hideki at 60 is kind of nice and I'm also liking Matt Morris at 237.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:25 pm

Red Stripe wrote:
j24jags wrote:atkins-137
c guillen-204
capuano-160

Those are pretty high actually especially the Capuano one, 3 good months at the end of the year for a pitcher that doesn't have anythign special should not be put at 160, and he should definitely not be put in front of Bonderman, Kazmir, or C. Young. Hideki at 60 is kind of nice and I'm also liking Matt Morris at 237.

Actually Capuano's numbers slipped at the end of the year as he tired out since it was his first full season in the majors. Capuano has a pretty big upside if he just gets his control down a little better and he's only 27 years old so the control should come with more experience. His stuff is very good and he should be a good K guy, he's pitching for one of the best pitching coaches in baseball and he probably has the best pickoff move in all of baseball so he kills the running game. His only problems are a bit too many walks and the fact he's a flyball pitcher in a slight hitters park. He's also left handed which is always a plus.

I certainly don't think he's a sleeper rated at 160 but to say he's too high at 160 is overstating things a bit. Of course nothing new for a small market team to not get props for its player, I still hear people say the Brewers won't be good this year because their pitching sucks when they have one of the top 5 or 6 starting staffs in the NL.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Ryan Zimmerman-Lock for NL ROY?????

Postby Big Tiex » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:59 pm

The 4th overall selection in the 2005 draft, zimmerman had .336 avg, 11hr, 38 rbi with Low A and double A in 250 ab. He then made the jump to the majors .397 in 58 ab with the nats and is a lock for the starting job with vinny out of the way. In the yahoo rankings he is ranked in the late 800's . Do you think he will be productive this year? and where would you rank him among other 3b?
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

wikerson

Postby liv4socr20 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:03 am

I'm a humongous fan of wilkerson at 295. Not a great avg. hitter and k's a lot but Texas shoudl really bring up the power numbers he displayed 2 years ago in Montreal and with a very good lineup his runs and rbis will be up.
Only 2 things are certain in life...... death and Albert Pujols
liv4socr20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers