Return to Baseball Leftovers

Emerging 5-cat studs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GoatCurse03 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:25 am

Granderson's problem will be getting the AB's. Right now, the Tigers OF is Ordonez, Logan and Monroe. Granderson will have to displace Logan to get the AB's or for one of them to go to the DL. He'll likely be a good player longer term, but this year is iffy, at least as of now.
GoatCurse03
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crapshooter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 am

The one guy that comes to mind immediately for me is Jason Bay. An injury free season could put up great stats in all categories
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -38)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:31 pm

I'd say Gomes right now.

Bay is an emerging stud based on where he is going among OF's alone. Now if you want to take a guy who is an emerging stud over a proven stud, go for it!
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)

Postby TB13 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:36 pm

GoatCurse03 wrote:Granderson's problem will be getting the AB's. Right now, the Tigers OF is Ordonez, Logan and Monroe. Granderson will have to displace Logan to get the AB's

I was under the impression that he had already displaced Logan.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Aces Wild wrote:
Yoda wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:Do we categorize Bay as a stud yet? I mean he's only done it one year. Maybe in a keeper league he's a stud, but for this year?

His minor league numbers show a good base. He is in his peak so it will be interesting to see what his ceiling is but his power definitely has not spiked yet. I'm not sure about the .300 average but if he can cut down on the Ks, this guy is a perennial first rounder.

I disagree with this. I think his average hasn't peaked yet, but his power has. He's a line-drive hitter, not a fly-ball hitter. I don't ever see him as a 40-homer guy, but I think his average is the beneficiary of fewer K's. Also, put him a good line-up around him and he could drive in 120 runs easy.

I'm not sure about that. Usually players enjoy power peak in their late 20s, early 30s. Bay is in that zone and he has increased his SLG steadily over the last few seasons.

While this may be true he has only one full season, and the one before that cut short by 40 games. I just find it funny that you say he has "steadily improved it" when there have only been 2 samples.

With anyone that has limited MLB experience, it is always worth checking out their minor league numbers. Taking those into account, Bay has increased power. Check out his XBH...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... -bay.shtml
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm

TB13 wrote:
GoatCurse03 wrote:Granderson's problem will be getting the AB's. Right now, the Tigers OF is Ordonez, Logan and Monroe. Granderson will have to displace Logan to get the AB's

I was under the impression that he had already displaced Logan.
The job is Granderson's as of now, but Leyland has said that Logan will be given a shot to earn the job. It'll be tough for him though, considering Logan can't hit and when he does, he can barely get it out of the infield. How much playing time Granderson gets (assuming healthy) will depend upon how well he hits versus lefties.

And yes, Granderson has potential for as many as 20 SBs. The only question is will they send him? He has the speed for it and stole 22/28 bases in AAA last year (111 games), which isn't too bad of a percentage. But then he only had 2 attempts last year as a Tiger in 47 games.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby perlick29 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:45 pm

liv4socr20 wrote:I think Aaron Rowand has the potential if he bats in the 2-hole and has the type of season he had two years ago. Figure .310 20 hr's 80 rbi's 15 sb 90 runs. I don't think thats too bold either because the Phillies have a very strong lineup and if Rowand has a bounceback year his numbers have those potentials

I wouldn't be quite so sure. I think he's more the player he was in 05 than the player he was in 04. The lineup will help for sure so it's likely that his final line could look something like:

AVG R HR RBI SB
.283 88 17 70 18.

That's not bad but there are better 5 tooler outfielders out there.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby Ragoczy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:15 pm

If Rowand can rebound a bit the Phils could end up with three 20-20 guys in Rowand, Abreu and Utley. It will be interesting to see how Rowand adjusts to the NL.

Hermida fits the definition of 'emerging' although I agree that he's going to be overvalued in drafts this year. Luckily I snagged him as a minor leaguer last season... :-D
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers