Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Power Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: M E T S Mets mets mets

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:36 am

Halo Homers wrote:_______________________________________________________

I think your underestimating the Mets offense and the RP. Starters will only need to go 6IP. If Pedro starts 35, figure they win 25 of those games. That leaves 125 starts between 4 starters. Can they go 70-55 in those games? I think they can with their hitting and relief pitching. That would get them to about 95 wins, which I think will be enough. The biggest risk is Pedro getting injured. That would eliminate their chances.


95 wins might just be enough to win the division (close call), but enough for 3rd on your power list? When they play the Marlins, the Nats and the 'questionable' Braves as many times as they do?

They won't win the East and they won't finish with a top 5 record. I'll have a little bet with you if you like? Loser has to carry a sig of some sort around in 07? ;-)
Rate my team, leave me a link!
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349 - English Villains
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1941
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:52 am

thedude wrote:


It said he personally hopes to be back by April. That is a best case senerio. Dotel is still a huge question mark. Tommy John surgery takes a while to recover from (it usally takes at least 12 months and sometimes as many as fourteen). I just wouldn't put too much stock in what Dotel hopes for himself.


When ESPN reported he wouldn't be available until July it was based on a poorly translated quote from Dotel. Seems a little odd that you pick and choose when Dotel is a viable source of information. Anyway, Dotel's doctor has backed his "story" up and has talked about how impressive the surgery and Dotel's recovery has been.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:35 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
citybirds27 wrote:My wonderful rankings:
1. New York Yankees
........... Everyone else sucsk
30. Boston Red Sox


This was a joke, right? If not, this automatically becomes the most moronic post of the year.


I hope he was kidding. :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 9752
(Past Year: -710)
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:38 pm

Amazinz wrote: Anyway, Dotel's doctor has backed his "story" up and has talked about how impressive the surgery and Dotel's recovery has been.


Octavio Dotel and TO do both involve the letter O...heh heh heh...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4152
(Past Year: -18)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby thedude » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Amazinz wrote:
thedude wrote:


It said he personally hopes to be back by April. That is a best case senerio. Dotel is still a huge question mark. Tommy John surgery takes a while to recover from (it usally takes at least 12 months and sometimes as many as fourteen). I just wouldn't put too much stock in what Dotel hopes for himself.


When ESPN reported he wouldn't be available until July it was based on a poorly translated quote from Dotel. Seems a little odd that you pick and choose when Dotel is a viable source of information. Anyway, Dotel's doctor has backed his "story" up and has talked about how impressive the surgery and Dotel's recovery has been.


I am not basing it on anything Dotel said I am basing it on medical fact.
Dotel had Tommy John surgery in June. It takes about a year to recover from to recover from the surgry. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. I would not project him back before June/July. If things continue go well he could be ready late April, but i would not bet on it.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8014
(Past Year: -397)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:59 pm

thedude wrote:All the sources i can find (ESPN, CBS Sportsline) have him missing half a season. Do you have a link?


thedude wrote:I am not basing it on anything Dotel said I am basing it on medical fact.


Then why the heck did you ask me to post the link? Sounds like your mind was made up before I even posted the info. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: M E T S Mets mets mets

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:48 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:
glcmustliveon wrote:Who ever thinks the Mets are going to be the third best team in the Majors is seriously smoking something(not tobacco), Yeah, they have added some big bats but IMO theyre starting rotation is below average at best. Pedro is a stud, no doubt, but does anyone seriously think that Zambrano AND Heilman are going to do anything but disappoint... I think the mets will be hard pressed to come in third.... in their division.


_______________________________________________________

I think your underestimating the Mets offense and the RP. Starters will only need to go 6IP. If Pedro starts 35, figure they win 25 of those games. That leaves 125 starts between 4 starters. Can they go 70-55 in those games? I think they can with their hitting and relief pitching. That would get them to about 95 wins, which I think will be enough. The biggest risk is Pedro getting injured. That would eliminate their chances.


The Mets have good RP? Since when?

Wagner is good. He won't pitch until the 9th inning though. Who else do they have? Sanchez? I can't even name their middle-men. You are acting as if the Mets have the '96 Yankees bullpen or something. Their starters do not need to go 6 innings. They don't have a Nelson>Rivera>Wetteland bullpen. They have Wagner. That's about it.

So why do you contiually say they have great RP?


_______________________________________________________

Well, we agree to disagree, but here is my logic: I think the Mets will emerge and have one of the top five bullpens in the major leagues this year. They can go six deep with confidence

1) Wagner - One of the top closers in the game.
2) D. Sanchez - Emerged last year as Dodgers top setup man. Has potential to close. Brings it in the mid 90s. Will get better
3) J. Julio - Had a tough 2005 in Baltimore, but that was a bad situation. I expect him to rebound.
4) J. Padilla - Posted a 1.49 ERA and 1.02 WHIP last year in 36 IP. Could end up in rotation. Also on the upswing.
5&6) C. Bradford and S. Schmoll - Both with submarine deliveries. something that teams don't generally see. Effective one inning per night.

This, combined with their upgraded offense, will allow them to win games late.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1297
(Past Year: -24)
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby citybirds27 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:04 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
citybirds27 wrote:My wonderful rankings:
1. New York Yankees
........... Everyone else sucsk
30. Boston Red Sox


This was a joke, right? If not, this automatically becomes the most moronic post of the year.


I hope he was kidding. :-°


No, I was serious :-? <img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif> .
citybirds27
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 218
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 9 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:08 pm

citybirds27 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
citybirds27 wrote:My wonderful rankings:
1. New York Yankees
........... Everyone else sucsk
30. Boston Red Sox


This was a joke, right? If not, this automatically becomes the most moronic post of the year.


I hope he was kidding. :-°


No, I was serious :-? <img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif> .


Then you're a fool.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11623
(Past Year: -296)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 0 guests

cron