Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jon Papelbon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Trot Nixon » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:45 pm

Papelbon is the real deal, he pitched well in the games he started and should become a starter sometime during the season. He shut down the White Sox in the playoffs when no other Sox pitcher could, and in the Sept and Oct, he let up 2 ER in 17 innings and that was in one game.

The FO is very high on this kid and theres no way they're gonna keep this kid in a long relief role. Take a chance on him in the later rounds
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KOSTAS » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:34 pm

thedude wrote:
moose32 wrote:if Foulke gets bombed does he become the closer?

Nope. Timlin then Hansen will get shots as closer first.

Paplebon might start if (as reports indicate) the Red Sox are planning to trade Clement or Wells during ST. But that may or may not happen so he is only worth a late round pick in a deep league at this point. Just monitor the situation closely.

yeah, well who ever thought Schilling would be closing games for the Sox last year? I think anything is possible. Papelbon has the stuff and mentality to close. Hansen is further behind him and will need a year of setup/ seasoning. I would not be surprised to see papelbon get a shot if something serious were to happen to Foulke. Timlin is best in a setup role.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:13 pm

KOSTAS wrote:
thedude wrote:

Paplebon might start if (as reports indicate) the Red Sox are planning to trade Clement or Wells during ST. But that may or may not happen so he is only worth a late round pick in a deep league at this point. Just monitor the situation closely.

yeah, well who ever thought Schilling would be closing games for the Sox last year? I think anything is possible. Papelbon has the stuff and mentality to close. Hansen is further behind him and will need a year of setup/ seasoning. I would not be surprised to see papelbon get a shot if something serious were to happen to Foulke. Timlin is best in a setup role.

Houston Street and Chad Cordero but became closers their first pro season. Hansen is a better than either when he came out of college.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby KOSTAS » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:17 pm

thedude wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:
thedude wrote:

Houston Street and Chad Cordero but became closers their first pro season. Hansen is a better than either when he came out of college.

True, Street and Cordero both became closers but they were partially
due to very special circumstances:
-both small market teams that can't buy closers
-Street had two injuries ahead of him- Dotel and Calero

It's also arguable wether Hansen is any better than those two out of college. Street pitched for a much bigger program in Texas with better competition that Hansen, for example. I think you have to llook at Cordero and Street as exceptions, not the rule.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:20 pm

KOSTAS wrote:yeah, well who ever thought Schilling would be closing games for the Sox last year? I think anything is possible. Papelbon has the stuff and mentality to close. Hansen is further behind him and will need a year of setup/ seasoning. I would not be surprised to see papelbon get a shot if something serious were to happen to Foulke. Timlin is best in a setup role.

I don't think Hansen is that far from being able to close. He is pretty close to the same situation that Street was in and he only spent 26 innings in the minors. Hansen had no trouble with AA and wasn't really 100% when he pitched for the Sox in September.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby KOSTAS » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:21 pm

JTWood wrote:Let's see... Lindy's doesn't even project him. Sporting News says he could go either way, but projects 34 IPs with a 1.47 WHIP and a 9.0 K/9. Fantistics has him at 60 IPs wth a 5-3 record, 1.25 WHIP, and an 8.1 K/9.

The official JT projection is that it doesn't matter if he starts or goes to the pen because you should stay away* for 4 reasons:
  1. Rookie
  2. American
  3. League
  4. East
* - Unless you have a good keeper system.

you mean, like Scott Kazmir and Chien Wang? Yeah, they were real stinkers..... Papelbon, arguably is more ready than those guys were. I would not stay away at all.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers