Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm searching for...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm searching for...

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:19 pm

...links to old scouting reports for Albert Pujols, from 2001 and earlier. I just want to see what forecasters and projectors were saying about him. He just came out of nowhere to dominate and I wonder who actually saw it coming.

Basically I want to see what they said about him and if there is anyone in this year's crop of rookies they are saying the same things about.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Good luck!! I think that he 'came out of nowhere' and was not really listed as a hot prospect anywhere. I'm a bit fuzzy on that though as that's a year or two before the fantasy bug bit me so I was only following the Cubs amazing *cough cough* prospects... :~( :~( :~( :~(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby NZF » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:55 pm

In early 2001 Pujols was acknowledged as one of the Cardinals Top 3 prospects along with Esix Snead and Chad Hutchinson.

He certainly wasn't seen at that time as one of the top prospects in the game from my recollection.

In fact Sean Burroughs had far more hype as a potential super star than Pujols.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:17 pm

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/20 ... 115211/342

Albert Pujols Prospect Retro
By John Sickels
Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 10:52:11 AM CST

Prospect Retro: Albert Pujols

Per reader request, a prospect retro for Albert Pujols.

Pujols was drafted by the Cardinals in the 13th round in 1999, out of Maple Woods Community College in Missouri. He was considered to be a promising bat, but there were questions about his defense, and many scouts thought he was too fat. Some scouts also questioned his listed birthday of January 16, 1980. He was born in the Dominican Republic.

Pujols made his pro debut in 2000, hitting .324/.389/.565 in 109 games for Class A Peoria, with 38 walks and just 37 strikeouts in 395 at-bats. He also got into 14 games at Class A Potomac, hitting .284/.341/.481, and went 3-for-14 in three games at Triple-A Memphis. I was extremely impressed with his bat, and gave him a Grade A- in the 2001 Minor League Scouting Notebook, rating him as the Number 18 prospect in baseball. I was a bit ahead of the curve on this. Baseball America put three different Top 50 lists in their '01 prospect book, written up separately by Jim Callis, Allan Simpson, and Will Lingo. The highest ranking for Pujols was #39.

While most people, including me, thought that Pujols would start 2001 in Double-A, he had a terrific spring training and won a starting job in the Cardinals lineup, hitting .329/.403/.610, quickly emerging as one of the very best hitters in baseball. His power has developed beyond where it was in A-ball, and he's maintained his exceptional plate discipline.

Did Pujols really come out of nowhere? He was a year ahead of schedule, but it's also true that Baseball America was tracking him, and I was tracking him, and other experts were tracking him too.

Comparable Players to Albert Pujols, through Age 24

Frank Robinson
Hank Aaron
Joe Medwick
Eddie Murray
Rico Carty
Jack Clark
Will Clark

When the WORST guy on your comp list is Jack Clark, you are a special hitter.

I think the only real question about Pujols is his age curve.

he ranked 42 on BA's 2001 top 100. he would have gotten a whole lot more hype had he spent 2001 in the minors as expected. he just didnt spend enough time in the minors for the hype machine to get going full force and since he came out of juco instead of a big time 4-year college people werent sure about his background.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:38 pm

I guess that's a good article, although it is in hindsight.

I guess I should keep my eyes open for offensive talents who get promoted very quickly for the next Pujols.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers