Return to Baseball Leftovers

I guess we see pigs fly soon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:51 pm

Jenkins wrote:I think Dontrelle just got $4.1 million. I bet he is happy to hear about Weaver.

WTF.

You can only compare Weavers salary to guys who signed free agent contracts this offseason.

Kenny Rogers
2y/16m
Millwood
5/60
Jarrod Washburn 4/$37.5
Esteban Loaiza 3/$21
Matt Morris 3/$27

in that market a two year 9 million dollar contract is not a bad deal. In fact because he is a pitcher and thus his season could potenially end with any pitch, the fact that it is a 2 year contract is a very good thing.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ragoczy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:49 pm

Weaver still hasn't agreed yet. The Angels have given him until Wednesday to decide. The Angels are loaded with hitting prospects but their pitching prospects (other than Santana) aren't really ready to help.

The Dodgers decided long ago not to resign Weaver, so I don't think they're worried about him going to Anaslime. He's 200 innings of 4.50 era and a .500 record--not worth 9 mill per.
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:50 pm

You can't compare Free Agents and Arbitration players. Brett Tomko just signed a contract for about 4 million a year, do you honestly think the Dodgers view him the same as Dontrelle Willis or Prior in terms of value?
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby Ragoczy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Agreed mikekim2121. I think EVERY team would take a Prior or D-Train at less than 5 mil. That's why those type of players don't get traded too often, unless you're like the Fish during their periodic fire sale and package them with contracts you want to get rid of--Beckett with Lowell.
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dannahann » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:42 pm

thedude wrote:
Jenkins wrote:I think Dontrelle just got $4.1 million. I bet he is happy to hear about Weaver.

WTF.

You can only compare Weavers salary to guys who signed free agent contracts this offseason.

Kenny Rogers
2y/16m
Millwood
5/60
Jarrod Washburn 4/$37.5
Esteban Loaiza 3/$21
Matt Morris 3/$27

in that market a two year 9 million dollar contract is not a bad deal. In fact because he is a pitcher and thus his season could potenially end with any pitch, the fact that it is a 2 year contract is a very good thing.

Given these FA pitchers, their talent and their contracts, I think the Weaver signing (if it occurs) might be the best of the bunch? The only one I might personally favor to Weaver's 2/18 is Loaiza's 3/21. Washburn (and Rogers) are far worse signings IMO.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:59 pm

dannahann wrote:
thedude wrote:

WTF.

Kenny Rogers
2y/16m
Millwood
5/60
Jarrod Washburn 4/$37.5
Esteban Loaiza 3/$21
Matt Morris 3/$27

Given these FA pitchers, their talent and their contracts, I think the Weaver signing (if it occurs) might be the best of the bunch? The only one I might personally favor to Weaver's 2/18 is Loaiza's 3/21. Washburn (and Rogers) are far worse signings IMO.

And what is Jeffy Boy going to do come playoff time?...LOL.

If by saying wasting 18 M on a medicore at best 4th start is better than 27 M, I would agree. However, that is like saying I rather get shot in the arm than shot in the chest.

Weaver was a mediocre pitcher in Chavez Ravine, with no DH and with those pathethic NL West lineups. Now he goes to the AL again, in the AL West, which may not be a slugging powerhouse, but it isn't bad and is far better than the NL West offensively. A fly ball pitcher too. Look for an ERA near 5 now imo. I do not see how he gets this type of cash at all. I much rather would have had Loaiza or Morris or even Rogers if I was the Angels. Why go to two years also>? Who are they competing with for Weaver's "services"?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby J_Cuz » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:07 pm

Potentially the best of the group.

Only Millwood has more upside but man does he loaf after getting paid, and going in five years on him was almost nutty.

Loaiza and Rogers both have compartable upside but Loaiza is a bit shiftier and older than Weaver, so maybe not as justified for a three-year deal. The Rogers deal was in line for two seasons. He is not a likeble guuy but he can still pitch and is a solid lefty. Worst case= Yanks start to skid, call George his line is always open.

The Morris signing is sound but he does not look like he is capable of turning it up like the afforementioned pitchers. The Washbirn signing was just completely out of control, but the Mariners sure acted like they think they know something that the rest of baseball doesn't see with that guy.

Weaver has been a disappointment given the early hype but he's a solid arm especially since he's essentially replacing Washburn, so that would be a step up for Anaheim.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Bargain

Postby bigjimblue » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:48 pm

[quote="thedude"]Eh, there are worse ways to spend 18 million. :-? Fransworth comes to mind... :-D[/quote]

Farnsworth isn't overpaid. He's worth his weight in gold for bench clearing fights alone!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Re: Bargain

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:01 pm

bigjimblue wrote:
thedude wrote:Eh, there are worse ways to spend 18 million. :-? Fransworth comes to mind... :-D

Farnsworth isn't overpaid. He's worth his weight in gold for bench clearing fights alone!

Why pick on Farnsworth? The Clueless One has Pavano and Wrigth and Hammond and Hitchcock and Heredia and Gabe White and Quantril and Vazquez and Weaver and Brown and about a couple of dozen other grossly overpaid losers to his credit ove rthe past few seasons.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers