3rd round
44%
4th round
28%
5th or later
15%

Total votes : 39

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:21 pm

slomo007 wrote:Anyone saying you would not draft him is taking a big gamble that he's going to collapse. He earned a 1st round spot based on last year's numbers, so you're not drafting last year's numbers at all unless you take him in the first round.

I created this thread last year and there were of course several doubters who have all since been proven wrong. Don't be one of those guys this year. Take Figgins in the 2nd.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0

I still can't justify drafting a guy with a .750 OPS in the first 3 rounds. I never have and I never will no matter how many steals he gets.
Last edited by Yoda on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Anyone saying you would not draft him is taking a big gamble that he's going to collapse. He earned a 1st round spot based on last year's numbers, so you're not drafting last year's numbers at all unless you take him in the first round.

I created this thread last year and there were of course several doubters who have all since been proven wrong. Don't be one of those guys this year. Take Figgins in the 2nd.

I still can't justify drafting a guy with a .750 OPS in the first 3 rounds. I never have and I never will no matter how many steaks he gets.

You're not drafting his power. You're drafting his 110+ runs, 50+ steals, and .290+ average. In roto, those numbers are absolutely stellar, especially at 2b.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby giants! » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:26 pm

Mid to Late third for me
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:33 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I still can't justify drafting a guy with a .750 OPS in the first 3 rounds. I never have and I never will no matter how many steaks he gets.

You're not drafting his power. You're drafting his 110+ runs, 50+ steals, and .290+ average. In roto, those numbers are absolutely stellar, especially at 2b.

I usually take a pass on guys like Carl Crawford or Figgins or Pierre at the draft. Speed is something that you can get later: guys like Figgins and Pierre were on waivers when they first came up. Last year, Taveras, Sizemore, Lugo, etc emerged. Just the way I look at it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:35 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I usually take a pass on guys like Carl Crawford or Figgins or Pierre at the draft. Speed is something that you can get later: guys like Figgins and Pierre were on waivers when they first came up. Last year, Taveras, Sizemore, Lugo, etc emerged. Just the way I look at it.

Understandable. Keep in mind though that he is not only a speed player. A true speed player is a one category player. Figgins is below average (but not horrible) in HRs and RBIs, and among the best in runs and steals. He's a 2 category outstanding player, very good in 1 category (average), and not all that bad in HRs and RBIs. Potential for 10 HRs maybe? Pierre could never think about that.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:43 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Understandable. Keep in mind though that he is not only a speed player. A true speed player is a one category player. Figgins is below average (but not horrible) in HRs and RBIs, and among the best in runs and steals. He's a 2 category outstanding player, very good in 1 category (average), and not all that bad in HRs and RBIs. Potential for 10 HRs maybe? Pierre could never think about that.

I would not project or expect Figgins to hit 8+ HRs.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... gins.shtml
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:46 pm

I have him ranked 25th. So I'd look at taking him late 2nd or early 3rd round in a 12-teamer. I would never play him at 3B though, so he's a 2B or OF for me. Although if it shook out that I got a guy like Utley and power at 2B than maybe I'd play Figgins at 3B. I guess it would all just depend.

Anyway, he's been going earlier than I'd be willing to go in the mocks I've seen so far.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:49 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I would not project or expect Figgins to hit 8+ HRs.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... gins.shtml

It's quite simple, he finally got a chance to play (660 ABs). Considering he's in his prime years I think 8+ is definitely a possibility. Granted, that's not the reason to draft Figgins, but HRs are never a bad thing. It's the 50+ steals and 110+ runs that are the real reason.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:
It's quite simple, he finally got a chance to play (660 ABs). Considering he's in his prime years I think 8+ is definitely a possibility. Granted, that's not the reason to draft Figgins, but HRs are never a bad thing. It's the 50+ steals and 110+ runs that are the real reason.

Expecting anyone to steal 50+ steals is not too prudent IMO. Taking Luis Castillo (fellow 2B) as an example, following his 1999 and 2000 seasons in which he stole 50, 62 respectively, there was no way anyone expected him to take a dip to 33 in 2001. He was younger, faster and had much better OBP skills than Figgins can only dream of.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... illo.shtml

So while it was very nice for Figgins to put together a fine season like 2005 and I'm not saying he can't do it again. However, most of his value is tied to SBs and I just can't justify paying for them that early.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:26 pm

I think I'd consider him as early as late in 2nd round, depending on size of the league. I had him the 2nd half last year and loved him. Aside from his steals, I think there are lots of people who don't put enough stock in his 2B-3B-OF eligibility. Obviously he's a top option at 2B, but he's also better arguably better than guys like Posdednik and Pierre in the OF, and could even be a useful guy at 3B if you get decent players to fall to you at the other positions (e.g. Kent, Cantu, for example) in later rounds..

Drafting this guy early means you not only have a strong contributor in SB's, but you also have tremendous flexibility in terms the way you draft the rest of your team, and also in the ability to make trades later in the year.. ;-D
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers