Return to Baseball Leftovers

Huge league help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Huge league help!

Postby orange12 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:03 pm

I've joined a private league which has 20 players but I've never played with this many teams before. Does anybody have any good strategies for big leagues that differ from a 10-12 team league? I guess the obvious one would be study the deep end of draft sheets more. But are there any differences in draft or play strategy that's unique to big leagues? Does the advantage of picking earlier in the draft increase with the number of teams in the league? Thanks for any help.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phillibuster » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 pm

My guess or instinct would be to draft the best available players, with 20 teams, there will be alot of teams needing to fill holes and make deals, etc. By picking the best avail, you'll have plenty of trade bait to improve your team where needed.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 pm

I would try to have a bit more patience than I had in a 12 team league, and anytime you feel a player is underperforming and are thinking about waiving him, at least look at what others will do in trades... there is nothing worse than giving up on a guy who would have been a late round steal so you could get another MR....
I cut Sizemore last year when Juan Gon made it out of Spring Training... big mistake...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dan Charette » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:18 pm

A lot depends on what the scoring categories are.
Make sure you get an ace pitcher. With 20 rounds, you should take a pitcher in the 2nd or third round. In a deep draft , I think you have to go with positional scarcity plan. I don't like to depend on trades. It will be hard to make trades for a position player. Many teams will only have 1 good player at a position, so they can't really afford to trade him.
I would try and get 1 good base stealer and 1 good saves pitcher.
Some teams will have no speed , and some teams may not even get a closer. Those can be easy wins for a couple categories.
Make sure to check minimum innings pitched per week. I'm in a 20 team league where it's 50 innings, which raises the value of starting pitchers because some weeks it will be a struggle to make the innings requirement.
If it's a keeper league, try to have your waiver number be 1,2, or 3 towards the end of the season so that you can get a good young player.
My last point is to pick 1 or 2 positions that you feel you can get a decent player late in the draft. Maybe ss or 2nd base. By not worrying about a position or 2 till later you can get better pitching.
20 team is a challenge ! ! good luck

Dan the Bluesman B-)
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby swyck » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Yes, patience is key, and drilling deeper into the depth charts.

The draft will go deeper and faster. During the draft, players that would normally go 10-12 have to be taken around the 6th round. That seems obvious, but it's a surprise when you see it for the first time. You need to make new evaluations on all your players. If you want a stud batter or pitcher you can't wait for him cause he'll be gone.

These types of leagues are a lot of fun. Takes a bit more work, but you get to learn a lot more about the league. If you play in more then one league its a nice change of pace.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Baseball Leftovers