Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any foreseeable problems with this?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any foreseeable problems with this?

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:58 am

Starting a keeper league this year with a 5 man minor league roster attached (that is only for keeper purposes etc, details kept externally). The league will run using the contract year system. Here’s our problem.

We have defined a minor leaguer as any player who does not start the season on a big league 25 man roster. You can keep a player on you minor league roster until he STARTS a season on the big league 25 man. This means if a guy is called up mid-season, you don’t have to call him up until he starts the next year on the 25 man.

When you do call him up, you are allowed to keep him on your major league roster for 3 years without incurring any contract years.

Our problem lies within the draft for this year. We have decided to have 2 drafts, a major league, then a minor league. You can draft a guy as a minor leaguer if he played 20% or more of his games in 2005 in the minors. This means if at the start of the minor league draft, guys like Prince Fielder aren’t taken, they can be drafted as minors, and left on the minor league roster until the start of the season (when they are added to the 25 man), and you then have to call them up and effectively have them for 3 free years.

Do you guys think this is a good way to roll? Because we can’t think of another way to go about it. Unless you make it that minors only constitute guys that weren’t called up at all in 2005, which is also an option. If you are trying to get guys like Weeks and Fielder in the minor league draft and waiting on them for that purpose, you run the risk of having them taken in the majors draft and being burned. Therefore there is motivation to go either way with that strategy which I think works well. Anyone foresee any problems here? I personally think the idea is fine but wanted other views.

PS. Would prefer not to make it one major/minor league draft.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:21 am

As you suspect, I think things will balance themselves out as far as players getting drafted in the majors draft who should be drafted there (Weeks, Fielder, and even Howard would fall into that cat, as well).

The only forseeable problem, and it might not even be one, would be people drafting minor-league players in your majors draft who might not get called up in '06. Guys like Brandon Wood, Stephen Drew and maybe even Delmon Young might not get the call this year, but might get drafted in your majors draft. If they don't get the call in '06, how are they classified in '07? I suppose that you just treat them like any other major leaguer, and allow owners to take the gamble if they so desire.

Seems like as good a plan as any. ;-D
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:29 am

Looks good to me RynMan. ;-D ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Return to Baseball Leftovers