Return to Baseball Leftovers

To all Howard haters...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:20 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
Ender wrote:I don't think anyone is a hater, just not everyone is convinced he's going to hit .300 with 45 HR's like everyone seems to predicting. He also didn't exactly rip up the minors until he was old for the level he was in, he was 24 in A ball, 25 in AA and 26 in AAA. I have him down for a regression in batting average but 35 HR's right now and thats assuming he sits vs tough lefties and I'm not as high on him as most, thats hardly hating a guy saying he'll hit 35 HR's in his first full season.

.280 and 38 homers.

I actually have him for .284 and 38 homers, nice projection ;-D
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:29 pm

HOOTIE wrote:I was wondering if you were referring to Frank or Ron Howard? No one hates Ryan. Spring training hrs off AAA pitchers doesn't mean much.

I believe all 3 came in the same game vs. the Yanks too, if I'm not mistaken, which I have been in the past.

It's not that people hate or doubt Howard even. It's just that he's coming off the heels of a huge Morneau let down just a season ago in a somewhat similar situation, playing the same position. I know at a few points during the off-season when I looked at Howard, I said, "Hmmm, I'd hate to take him too high only to have him have a Morneau season on me..." Those are the only hesitations I've had with him. But this kid's the real deal and he can rake. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:47 pm

this is tough. I believe in him big time, but I am really playing devil's advocate. I essentially have to decide beween him, helton, oswalt for one spot. but helton comes at half the cost of helton and like an 1/8th of the cost of helton.

I am thinking 27 or so homers, .275 for this year, sit him versus lefties, which might mena you lose 4 or 5 homers.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:00 am

believe in him big time, but I am really playing devil's advocate. I essentially have to decide beween him, helton, oswalt for one spot. but helton comes at half the cost of helton and like an 1/8th of the cost of helton.

Does... not... compute.

Guessing thats Howard comes at half the cost of Oswalt and like 1/8th the cost of helton? I'd take Howard at half the cost of Oswalt in a keeper for sure. It would be harder for me to take him at 1/2th the cost of Helton but Id' probably go for it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Thriller » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:09 am

Howard certainly has the tools and the lineup in front of him to put up some big numbers. I wonder if he'll be hitting in front of Burrell or behind. If he's behind Burrell, I don't see much else in that lineup that could protect him. If he's the backside of Rollins, Utley, Abreu, Burrell, then he could get pitched around a bit more than if he was inserted between Abreu and Burrell.

I still think I would rate him slightly behind the more proven first sackers, but still ahead of someone like Fielder, or Thome(on the decline). First base is so stacked that everyone can pick up one and still have Howard as an option at the UTIL or DH slot.
Thriller
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:49 am

I actually do hate him. He has two first names. How can you trust a guy with two first names? I think he is a terrible human being, and simply cannot be trusted. He also has some nasty BO that you can actually smell from the upper deck. If ever there was a person to hate, it would have to be Ryan Howard.

:-B

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby broncofan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:53 am

chris8 wrote:I don't hate him - he's a decent option at 1B. What I don't understand is people drafting him ahead of Konerko, Delgado, Sexson, etc - guys with proven track records.

If those guys are gone and I don't have a 1B, I'll happily take Howard, but given the choice, I'll go for the guy who's performed for more than half a season.

if its a keeper i'm taking him over those 3.
broncofan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:22 am

DGroundhog wrote:I actually do hate him. He has two first names. How can you trust a guy with two first names? I think he is a terrible human being, and simply cannot be trusted. He also has some nasty BO that you can actually smell from the upper deck. If ever there was a person to hate, it would have to be Ryan Howard.

:-B

LMAO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:29 am

broncofan wrote:
chris8 wrote:I don't hate him - he's a decent option at 1B. What I don't understand is people drafting him ahead of Konerko, Delgado, Sexson, etc - guys with proven track records.

If those guys are gone and I don't have a 1B, I'll happily take Howard, but given the choice, I'll go for the guy who's performed for more than half a season.

if its a keeper i'm taking him over those 3.

And if Konerko, Delgado, and Sexson continue to all hit 35-40 HRs per season with 110-120 RBI, and Howard has a 22 HR, 79 RBI, 62 R season while batting a stiff .239 and a .741 OPS (Justin Morneau's 2005 totals), what will you do? Wait? Hope to win sometime in the next 2-3 years, and be content with your team of guys like Howard, you're hoping will all be 'the next big thing'??

Morneau 2004: .271, 19 HR, 58 RBI, 39 R in 280 AB
Howard 2005: .288 , 22 HR, 63 RBI, 52 R in 312 AB

Yes, it could happen.

Also...

I play exclusively keepers, but what people don't understand is drafting in keepers isn't THAT much different than redraft. It's more apparent in later rounds, and Waiver Wire work. There's just no reason to be taking a guy in the deepest position in the league who has a bucket full of hype ahead of guys who have buckets full of proven statistics.

It just seems that far too often, people are quick with their, "Well, it's a keeper so I'll take Essentially Unproven 26yo Player X over 3 players who have proven themselves over better parts of decades, just because they're 33, 32, and 30 years old... you're not talking about guys who are on their way out here. These guys have good years left in them, and are much more likely to continue what they've been doing, than for Howard to start doing what they've been doing. Don't forget all of the "can't misses" who have fallen flat on their faces.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby GSes » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:32 am

I am just not a fan of this kid this season. DO I think he has a bright future in the bigs? yes, but this season I see nothing but sophmore slump.

Look at the numbers,
33 BB
100 K's
312 ab's

Thats down right disgusting, and while he does have Adam Dunn like power, he shows absolutely no ability to work the count in his favor and the diffrence between him and adam dunn is well dunn k's a lot but he also draws a ton of walks. Until Howard starts to bring his walk rate up, and strike out rate down a bit, i do not see who he can maintain numbers similar to his rookie season.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers