Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Experts Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:57 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Brandon Funston Chased Cantu in the 3rd, took B.J. Ryan in front of Nathan and Billy :-b

I found at least one set of reputable projections which, when interpreted with my own rating algorithms, has B.J. Ryan as the second-rated reliever after K-Rod. So, that's not entirely crazy. Though it is reaching a little, considering he could always pick Nathan or Wagner and *trade* for Ryan, with a little extra thrown in.

I don't know what he was thinking with Cantu, though. Most projections I have put him at ~120. Maybe increased a little for positional scarcity, but not 3rd-round good. The best ranking I have for him is $22 from one of the Cafe Mock Drafts, and that still puts him no higher than mid 40's... not number 34.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tgalv » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:46 am

i think funston just prints off a copy of last years stats and drafts off of it. in a mock draft last year he had 5th pick. he picked randy johnson then cabrera. 3rd round melvin mora??? vmart, brett boone, carlos guillen?? dotel. good/lucky picks in rd 8 and 9 with derek lee and harden. webb in the 12th. the rest of his draft was complete garbage.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Howie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:49 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:Brandon Funston Chased Cantu in the 3rd, took B.J. Ryan in front of Nathan and Billy :-b

BTW: is there any relation between Matt Buser and mbuser in the basketball cafe? :-?

yeah, same guy.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lefty31mazur » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:28 am

One of those "Experts" took Prior, Sheets, and Clemens on the same roster...I guess he prefers not to pitch in April?
The Util mix up is hilarious...
Bonds fell to #122???
Freel, Garciaparra and Barmes were taken in the 9th round while
Colon was around in the 10th round along with Pettite.
Latroy Hawkins in the 12th round ahead of guys who are closers like Valverde?
V. Mart 17th pick? pretty early
Mauer 31st pick? very early
Iguchi 84th pick? very early...the round before they were getting picks like Billy Wagner.
Dye 216th pick? very late
Griffey 130th pick? very late
Harang was the last pick of the draft
Randy Johnson was around in the 6th round
Ibanez, Luis Gonzalez, and Alou are free agents
I could go on and on
They are playing roto with 1250 inning pitched limit which is easy to reach yet and linebrink and Duchsherer are free agents...they pick up wins nearly every 10 innings at 1 k per inning with low ERA and Whip

Looks like a bunch of fools to me...I'll bet the yahoo public leagues are more difficult. Hahaha, this made my day.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mrider » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:32 am

bleach168 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:Agreed, I looked at this draft and it's a quirky draft at best.

Plus, Funston's so caught up in the idea that A-Rod's the sure 1st pick that he mildly belittles the other guy for going Pujols first.

I'm liking Pujols first myself (I get a second pick in my big draft saturday and am hoping the first pick goes a-rod...)

In my eyes, Arod and Pujols are nearly dead even.

Only reason I would take A-Rod is because 1B you can get a better one in the 6th round then a 3rd baseman. Or thats what I have seen in my leagues so far so I would go with A-Rod so I agree with Funston on this one.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby lefty31mazur » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:57 pm

OMG

It took them till today to get wise of Cotts...and some fool dumped Harang for Miceli even though he does not have the roster spot for another relief pitcher...maybe he is holding the closers randsom for a hitter because he does not even have his lineup filled...dumping Harang though?? Up until the yesterday Harang had only allowed 1 run this spring (a inside the park shot by Crawford). The 5 runs he allowed yesterday all came in his last inning and he was pitching with a virus. He was just getting his work in. He has 1 BB in 19 innings of work not to mention a good 2005 season. Not a guy that any "Expert" should suddenly drop. Even as a closer Miceli has no trade value and he is a waste of space if you are set up to be the saves leader without him...Gonzo, Alou, Ibanez, and Guillen are free agents and this guy has 11 of 12 of the batting spots filled...and it is a roto league where you need bench hitters to get the occasional extra games played on mondays and thursdays.

I like checking out what these fools are up to...it is funny.
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/221243
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:11 pm

BTW: is there any relation between Matt Buser and mbuser in the basketball cafe? :-?

Cantu is a 4th round 2B if you are playing in a league that does not have stolen bases as a stat. 3rd round in 5x5 is crazy.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Id assume most of these guys will stop checking this league quite soon. Activity in the season increases and their activity in trivial leagues (such as this Yahoo league) decreases significatly. Most of the experts have important leagues such as Tout Wars or leagues of high value (money leagues) such as NFBC. I have no idea what a few of them were thinking in the draft. Quite a few ridiculous picks.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Someone drafted Jojhima 72nd overall excuse me if you disagree but that is laughable or V Mart second round yikes.

Even with the most aggressive projections I've seen for Kenji you'd be looking at about 300/25/80/80/4. That's certainly very high in the catcher list...maybe even #2 at catcher...but even then 72 seems a bit early.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby number9 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:55 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Id assume most of these guys will stop checking this league quite soon. Activity in the season increases and their activity in trivial leagues (such as this Yahoo league) decreases significatly. Most of the experts have important leagues such as Tout Wars or leagues of high value (money leagues) such as NFBC. I have no idea what a few of them were thinking in the draft. Quite a few ridiculous picks.

Haha, so it seems like Yahoo Experts league is the WBC of roto leagues :-D
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers