Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better picks, 7 & 18 or 9 & 16?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better picks, 7 & 18 or 9 & 16?

Postby fiz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Yahoo 5x5 h2h 12-team league - which would you rather have?
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 1207
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in your refrigerator drinking beer

Postby chris8 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:17 pm

Could argue either way.

At 7 & 18. you get one of Arod, Pujols, Vlad, Tex, Manny, Ortiz & Johan

At 9 & 16, you get two of the top 16 players.

I would prefer 9 & 16 - guaranteed 2 of the top 16, and there's always the chance that one of the top 7 slips.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 6850
(Past Year: -156)
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Going to see a man about a dog

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:22 pm

I prefer 7 and 18. You get one of the top 7 as stated, then you get a Peavy/Utley/Figgins/Beltran/Helton type player on the way back with odds one of the guys just named you can get for your 3rd pick.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10960
(Past Year: -23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:24 pm

depends on what the idiots in front of you do.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3474
(Past Year: -292)
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Postby fiz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:27 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:depends on what the idiots in front of you do.


assume they take arod, pujols, vlad, tex, manny, ortiz
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 1207
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in your refrigerator drinking beer

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:42 pm

fiz wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:depends on what the idiots in front of you do.


assume they take arod, pujols, vlad, tex, manny, ortiz

Johan is likely the pick here so I would rather move down and take 9/16.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:
fiz wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:depends on what the idiots in front of you do.


assume they take arod, pujols, vlad, tex, manny, ortiz

Johan is likely the pick here so I would rather move down and take 9/16.


Who would you take with 9 assuming ARod, Pujols, Vlad, Teix, Manny, Ortiz, Johan, and DLee (i guess) are gone? I think there's a nasty dropoff after 8 (or even 7), and tier 2 usually runs dry around pick 15. After Lee, you can get Young, Wright, Bay, Craw, Abreu, MCab, Tejada (not necessarily in that order)... then who? A banged up Pedro? A possible 1 year wonder in Utley? *gulp* Gary Sheffield? I'd personally go with either Peavy or Utley, but I wouldn't be thrilled taking either that early.

So, to answer your original question, I'd go 7/18 all day. At worst you get Johan at 7, who is easily the number 1 pitcher, and then worry about 18. I notice a lot of players get jumbled around in the mid to late 2nd round, which would indicate value is pretty much equal. No matter who you get at 18, I'm sure they wouldn't be much worse (if not better) than the 16th pick.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4001
(Past Year: -13)
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:44 pm

i would say it's axiomatic that the same number of dropped spots matters more the closer to the beginning of the draft you are. if you currently have the 7/18 ask for the 9/16 and flipped 4th rounders.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4826
(Past Year: -34)
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:51 pm

Take Tejada with that pick. Grab Abreu/Crawford on the way back.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10960
(Past Year: -23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
fiz wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:depends on what the idiots in front of you do.


assume they take arod, pujols, vlad, tex, manny, ortiz

Johan is likely the pick here so I would rather move down and take 9/16.


Who would you take with 9 assuming ARod, Pujols, Vlad, Teix, Manny, Ortiz, Johan, and DLee (i guess) are gone? I think there's a nasty dropoff after 8 (or even 7), and tier 2 usually runs dry around pick 15. After Lee, you can get Young, Wright, Bay, Craw, Abreu, MCab, Tejada (not necessarily in that order)... then who? A banged up Pedro? A possible 1 year wonder in Utley? *gulp* Gary Sheffield? I'd personally go with either Peavy or Utley, but I wouldn't be thrilled taking either that early.

I would prefer to have a combo of Wright/Cabrera/Bay/Crawford/etc rather than draft Johan. Not that there's anything wrong with Johan at 7. It's just my team-building philosophy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests