Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren's 2005 2nd Half

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Haren's 2005 2nd Half

Postby lefty31mazur » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:24 am

Bartolo has the Rep of the 2005 Cy Young Winner but Haren matched him after the All-star break in just his first year as a starter. Check the split stats, Haren had slightly better ERA, WHIP, BAA and K's after the break. I agree that it sounds crazy but you actually can compare the two...and you can draft Haren twice as late as Bartolo.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:00 pm

That's a very good point. Everyone around here knows my affinity for Haren began prior to last season. I think the guy has alot of potential and this year could do alot there. Colon is overrated, mainly becaue of the piece of hardware he now has in his trophy cabinet thanks to the all-knowledgable baseball writers association. He won't be on any of my teams this year for this reason. Haren actually had a better K/9, and was only behind by .25 in ERA. Oh, but he didn't have 21 wins. O:-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby CHE » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:02 pm

haren da!!! I got him in like 23rd round last year ;-D And i plan on snagging him in the 7th round in my AL only league tonight.
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reynolds80 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:29 pm

There are things to like about Haren, and then more things to like about Haren: he's young, has good K-rates, low BB-rates, his pitches move like crazy, he keeps the ball in the yard, he pitches in a neutral-to-slight-pitcher's park, he has an outstanding defense behind him, and he'll get more run support this year.

Oh, and did I mention last year was his first full year as a MLB starter? Even great ones struggle their first time around. But Haren simply improved all year.

This might be the last year he'll fall to the middle rounds.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:41 pm

That's a nice comparison and all but it's the type of thing you can say about a lot of players. You can make combinations like that for plenty of guys. Bartolo isn't my type of fantasy pitcher anyway. Only thing he's good for is wins. Doesn't help you in more than 1 category and has the potential to hurt you in ERA and WHIP.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Return to Baseball Leftovers