Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Innings Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Innings Question

Postby GSOE » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

As a disclaimer this is my first year in fantasy baseball and im not too sure of all the rules and strategies quite yet. That being said i was wondering about Max Innings. In my 5x5 roto league we start 2 SP, 2 RP, and 4 Ps. The Max Inning is set on 1400. Will i have to worry about this? will my pitchers reach that? Also if they do how do i counteract that? Thanks.
GSOE Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:50 am

Depends on your makeup. For simplicity, I generally assume 200 IP for a starter and 75 IP fir a reliever. So if you have 6 starters and 3 relievers, that gets you to just over 1400. In reality a few pitchers will do more. Others will do less: injury, missed starts, etc. Add to that - there will probably be some starts where you bench a guy usually due to a bad matchup or Coors. I'd want at least 6 starters in your setup, probably 7 (one as a backup in case someone gets injured).

1400 won't be an issue if you manage it. You don't want to get there too quickly (ideally the last day) or too late (it's bad to have many unused innings).

Figure it this way - you'll be using about 230 IP per month. If you get too far from this, you're probably under or over playing the pitchers.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby GSOE » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:22 pm

so you would suggest having an empty pitcher spot everyone once and a while when your pitchers have a bad matchup?
GSOE Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:35 pm

IMO, no. Unless you start playing around with spot starts of bench pitchers too much.

On avg a starter is good for 200-225 IPs a year.
A reliever about 70-75 IPs.

Leaving you a low side est of 1340 and a high side of 1500. 1400 seems like a reasonable approximation on what you are likely to get after injuries, pulling Coors starts and really bad matchups of you lesser SPs out, etc.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Yeah...in addition you can toy with the idea of getting more of your IP'd from good closers. They help your whip/era/k's more than SP's usually do (most decent closers will post lower numbers in whip/era and higher k/ip than an equal level SP). You're balancing sv's vs wins there. MR's like Shields, Rincon, Duchsherer, Linebrink, etc. are also options as they tend to post good wins/ip as well as better ratios. The rule of thumb on IP of 200 per starter and 75 per reliever is a good one. And remember - it doesn't matter how you get to 1400 as long as you get there using pitchers that post the best numbers possible in w/sv/era/whip/k that you can get. And it really is ok to get to 1400 early - it lets you trade pitching for hitting. Just don't sacrifice quality in a bid to get to 1400 faster.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby 5 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:42 pm

You've gotten sound advice here. Remember there are always spot starts you can make along the way if you're running behind in IP. (favorable waiver wire pickups)

If you're using Yahoo, there's a link from your roster page to show you your IP status...to show if you're using too many or not enough by using + or -
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers