Return to Baseball Leftovers

The latest from Baker on Prior...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The latest from Baker on Prior...

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:02 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I do not know whether I should laugh at him or Prior owners more.
Which really means...you will be lucky to see him in June.

Rotoworld:
Cubs manager Dusty Baker suggested Thursday that he sees Mark Prior being "five, six weeks behind."
Prior, who played catch again yesterday and had no problems, didn't think he was starting completely over after taking two weeks off with a strained muscle in his right shoulder. Baker seems to feel differently, so it looks like Prior has little chance of pitching in the majors during April

Baker has established himself as an idiot before and this news does suck, but it contradicts a lot of the other stories on Prior. Check out the prior thread in the injuries forum. There's one blurb saying that Prior is progressing quickly.

If anything Baker would babble in favor of an early return, not a more pessimistic one. Either way youl ook at it and given the record of the Cubs management about bold-faced lieing wrt injuries, I would not bet on seeing Prior before late May at the earliest.

you never know with Dusty
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:06 pm

After YEARS of this, 'progressing rapidly' means that he won't have surgery scheduled anytime soon...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby pat1999 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:30 pm

5 to 6 weeks behind what??????/// the start of the season.?? if so that would be right around the time people have been expectiong to come back .. late april may be a bit optimistic but sometime in may is reasonable...i took prior in the 12th round of a 12 team draft on thursday and was estatic to get him there...

i think his upside is just too high to ignore and there is no reason why anyone should think that him comming back in may and being dominant is unreasonable...

i dont trust anything dusty says...and if he is throwing i doubt he will need 5 to 6 weeks on top of april to get back...even if he does.. ill wait for a healthy prior...everyone will regret they didnt
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -16)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:47 pm

pat1999 wrote:5 to 6 weeks behind what??????/// the start of the season.?? if so that would be right around the time people have been expectiong to come back .. late april may be a bit optimistic but sometime in may is reasonable...i took prior in the 12th round of a 12 team draft on thursday and was estatic to get him there...

i think his upside is just too high to ignore and there is no reason why anyone should think that him comming back in may and being dominant is unreasonable...

i dont trust anything dusty says...and if he is throwing i doubt he will need 5 to 6 weeks on top of april to get back...even if he does.. ill wait for a healthy prior...everyone will regret they didnt

One would also point out that even when healthy last season, Prior posted a 3.7 ERA and under-performed. Who knows if he was playing hurt or not,, but frqankly, who needs that type of grief from a top 5-10 round pick? If you got him cheap, great. If you paid a top pick for him, well the agita has already started.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby cordscords » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Prior still had the highest K/9 among all SP last year with 10.15

He can still be productive, lets just hope he stays healthy for us Prior owners.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AT » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:10 pm

LOL. I can't believe I drafted him in my keeper league... I always laugh at guys who draft Prior. Must have been a momentary lapse in consciousness. My team would be unstoppable if I drafted someone else...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby TurdFerguson » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
pat1999 wrote:5 to 6 weeks behind what??????/// the start of the season.?? if so that would be right around the time people have been expectiong to come back .. late april may be a bit optimistic but sometime in may is reasonable...i took prior in the 12th round of a 12 team draft on thursday and was estatic to get him there...

One would also point out that even when healthy last season, Prior posted a 3.7 ERA and under-performed. Who knows if he was playing hurt or not,, but frqankly, who needs that type of grief from a top 5-10 round pick? If you got him cheap, great. If you paid a top pick for him, well the agita has already started.
Before the injury last year Prior was 4-1 62ks 2.9era .9whip in 58 innings so your theory really is crap.The injury threw him out of his rythm and he was on his way to a really good season.Your are right though he is a headache,but if healthy easily oneof the better pitchers in the game.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -15)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:43 pm

AT wrote:LOL. I can't believe I drafted him in my keeper league... I always laugh at guys who draft Prior. Must have been a momentary lapse in consciousness. My team would be unstoppable if I drafted someone else...

sigh, me too. I drafted him in both my leagues, but in the 11th and 10th rounds it was worth a gamble. unfortunately i only have 2 bench spots in one of the leagues, so hopefully no other picthers get hurt since Bill E. Hall can back up the rest of my team

and to think i learned my lesson on Cubs pitchers last year with Wood
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers