Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rant: Yahoo Autodraft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rant: Yahoo Autodraft

Postby Cobra_Kai » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:05 pm

I've come to terms with the autodraft...I got some good suggestions, slapped together a list I feel pretty good about.

The only thing that bothers me big time is that Yahoo won't let you know until 30 minutes before the draft the order in which teams are drafting. This could play a big role in my rankings (for instance, If I find out I'm getting picks 9 & 13 instead of 1 & 22, etc). Not only that, but with autodraft, the commish sets status to "ready" then the draft happens somewhere in the next 72 hours??? So unless I feel like checking Yahoo every 25 minutes for the next 3 days, I have a realistic chance of having no idea when this happens.

Good God I hate autodraft.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 467
Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slicemdown » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:14 pm

how bout this


Dont do autodraft
slicemdown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 77
Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beatdrum » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:38 pm

slicemdown wrote:how bout this


Dont do autodraft

;-D
Why would anyone choose autodraft over a live draft?
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 339
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rant: Yahoo Autodraft

Postby rainman23 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:I've come to terms with the autodraft...I got some good suggestions, slapped together a list I feel pretty good about.

The only thing that bothers me big time is that Yahoo won't let you know until 30 minutes before the draft the order in which teams are drafting. This could play a big role in my rankings (for instance, If I find out I'm getting picks 9 & 13 instead of 1 & 22, etc). Not only that, but with autodraft, the commish sets status to "ready" then the draft happens somewhere in the next 72 hours??? So unless I feel like checking Yahoo every 25 minutes for the next 3 days, I have a realistic chance of having no idea when this happens.

Good God I hate autodraft.


I know until a few years ago you could specify your draft sequence well in advance of your Autodraft. Maybe things have changed, but this might just be a league setting...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 929
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:34 pm

Why do your rankings change? You still have a preference of players and who you want over someone else don't you? :-?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11135
(Past Year: -350)
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby rentz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 pm

the one thing id like to see yahoo do is to let you rank by position,then rank each positions priority.
so that you dont get 4 closers, or all outfield and no infield.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4808
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 3 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djack909 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:11 pm

I did autodraft two years ago and it drafted 4 SS in consequtive rounds and no closers. So I adjusted my rankings and on another team I got five closers as my first 5 pitchers drafted. I can't see any reason that autodraft makes any sense.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 701
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby titanut » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm in 2 leagues, both serious players, but a live draft is impossible.
There is a way to rank your pre-draft for auto-draft-for example, don't
rank the same position back to back- if you rank 5 RPs 71-75 you will
probably get 2 RPs in rounds 7-8 when you would prefer a RP and a
SS or whatever. As far as the draft order is concerned, I remember last year their was a free service where the commish could input the
teams and the order would be set- you could then pre-set the draft order. Didn't use it this year since both leagues are now keeper leagues. It's tricky to have a keeper league in Yahoo, but, it can be
done.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1195
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:33 am

djack909 wrote:I did autodraft two years ago and it drafted 4 SS in consequtive rounds and no closers. So I adjusted my rankings and on another team I got five closers as my first 5 pitchers drafted. I can't see any reason that autodraft makes any sense.


That's a change, too, from the Yahoo autodrafts I've been involved in. It might take two SS's, plug the second one in the Utility position, and then it wouldn't take anymore until it had filled the rest of the predefined positions -- i.e., it wouldn't use the Bench spots until it filled the others. I guess if you have positions like "MI" you might get a third one. I can't imagine how you had your positions set where you'd wind up with 4 SS early. And if you had ANY RP positions defined, you should have gotten some of them -- not necessarily closers, though.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 929
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:29 am

teddy ballgame wrote:Why do your rankings change? You still have a preference of players and who you want over someone else don't you? :-?


I have guys that I'll 'rank' decently but would not want on my team. In autodrafts I will put them on the 'don't draft list'. Sometimes they are decent players but stuff like injuries will put them on my list.

A guy like that this year is Rolen who, undoubtedly will have a great year now ( :-D ). I think that he is very capable, I like him (even though he's on the wrong team...) but his #s and where he sits suggest to me that Yahoo might find him a perfectly decent #1 3B for me and, rather than bump him down, risk everyone else bumping him down more and ending up w/ him backed up w/ Randa, I get him on out and bumped up Wright and ARam. I just did one of these this year, got Wright (so Yahoo skipped over ARam...) and am pleased w/ the result. Just one guy in one position so we'll see how it plays out...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4152
(Past Year: -18)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests