Return to Baseball Leftovers

Debate: Davidmarver vs Amazinz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Debate: Davidmarver vs Amazinz

Postby giants! » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Debate Topic: Many cities have suffered from poor attendence numbers lately. Pick one team to relocate and select where you would relocate them to.
Argue for your choices and against your opponents choices.

First come first served
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Just a note, this is only for davidmarver and Amazinz

Now, on with the debate :-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby so0perspam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:31 pm

Nice subject choice, this should be interesting/entertaining.

*Ding ding*
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm selecting Tampa. I wanted to 'reserve' that choice now, my argument will follow soon.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:18 am

For the last three major league baseball seasons, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have had the worst attendance figures, ignoring the defunct Montreal Expos. In 2005, the team had an average home attendance of 14,052, more than 3000 fans below the second-lowest attendance, despite hosting the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, the two teams that draw the most fans on the road year-in and year-out. Attendance Source

Besides the abysmal attendance record of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays franchise despite the potential, due to hosting marquee teams, there are other reasons moving the franchise would help major league baseball. The Devil Rays share the states' fan base with the Florida Marlins who, like the Devil Rays, also exhibit poor attendance figures. By relocating the Devil Rays, the Florida Marlins attendance figures would rise, perhaps leading to the new stadium deal that they've been seeking. In fact, prior to the Devil Rays addition to the league, the Marlins were fifth in the league in attendance.

In my next post I'll propose the city in which I think the Devil Rays should re-locate.[/url]
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby giants! » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Marver advances by default
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby Tavish » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:34 pm

Since the debate is over...

davidmarver wrote:Besides the abysmal attendance record of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays franchise despite the potential, due to hosting marquee teams, there are other reasons moving the franchise would help major league baseball. The Devil Rays share the states' fan base with the Florida Marlins who, like the Devil Rays, also exhibit poor attendance figures. By relocating the Devil Rays, the Florida Marlins attendance figures would rise, perhaps leading to the new stadium deal that they've been seeking. In fact, prior to the Devil Rays addition to the league, the Marlins were fifth in the league in attendance.

The Marlins were fifth the year prior to the D-Rays' inception because they were in the playoff hunt and subsequently won the World Series that season. In years prior to that they were right back near the bottom of the attendance figures. The distance between the two cities is far enough that there isn't really that much competition for same market fans between the two.

But other than that, I pretty much agree. Tampa hasn't really shown itself as much of a baseball town. Most of the other cities that are in the running for relocation have either a much deeper history for baseball or are much larger markets that can more easily survive in the business of baseball today.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Return to Baseball Leftovers