Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasyland, by Sam Walker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasyland, by Sam Walker

Postby zoolander » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:45 pm

Anyone out there read/-ing this? Am about 2/3 through it and don't want it to end! Check it out if you haven't already.
"There has got to be more to life than being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -- D. Zoolander (2001)
zoolander
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:01 pm

+1, I read it and found it HIGHLY entertaining as I'd dabbled w/ both JGuillen and Ponson that year. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby LiveForever » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:04 pm

ya i just got it the other day and am about 1/4 of the way through. Good read so far.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:12 pm

I just got that BP book, Baseball Between the Numbers, today...AcidDaughter had book fair thingy @ the local bookstore, I could not resist the urge...I read bits of it during the commercials in the Cubs/ Cards game and it's pretty neat stuff too.

I totally understand not wanting FantasyLand to end though, I am REALLY hoping that he writes a sequel about the following year when he won...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby GSOE » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:12 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I just got that BP book, Baseball Between the Numbers, today...AcidDaughter had book fair thingy @ the local bookstore, I could not resist the urge...I read bits of it during the commercials in the Cubs/ Cards game and it's pretty neat stuff too.

I totally understand not wanting FantasyLand to end though, I am REALLY hoping that he writes a sequel about the following year when he won...

Acid you just ruined the sequel!!!! :-b

I really liked the book so far. This is my first year of fantasy baseball and although i havent learned a ton from the book it has been hilarious and very entertaining. Defintely a must read for all Fantasy baseballers.

Acid,
would you reccomend that BP book? i have heard some good things and am thinking about picking it up after i get done with Fantasyland.
GSOE Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tread42 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:40 pm

I concur with the other replies. I finished it last weekend, just before the opening game and loved every minute of it. He did a great job of describing his league's characters. It was nice to see that he was just as obsessed with fantasy baseball as all of us are.
Regards,

Tread42
Tread42
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby zoolander » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:46 am

Yeah, it's really neat to be able to go to the Tout Wars site (http://www.toutwars.com) and check out the AL manager's bios and see how their 2006 teams are doing, etc...
"There has got to be more to life than being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -- D. Zoolander (2001)
zoolander
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby HasteTheDay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:30 am

It's honestly the best book i'v ever read. I too never wanted it to end. Would of been an even better if he wrote the book last year, that ended with a 1st place finish.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:34 am

I saw the author on a show being interviewed awhile back, and he came off as a giant toolbag, which really turned me off from both he and the book...

Let me know when some of you guys finish it, because maybe you can sell me on it (I actually hope so, b/c I think I might like to read it :-D )
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby HasteTheDay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:44 am

If you like fantasy baseball, I pretty much guarantee you will love it!
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers