Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ARCH » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:30 pm

[quote="mathias"][quote]Jones is more injury prone than Kearns and Drew combined.
Every season he loses considerable time through various injuries[/quote]
No it was just last year he missed 'considerable time', before 2004 he was rock solid.

This ain't good for me though...[/quote]

He missed a lot of games in 2004 from various ailments as well. Previous to that he was rock solid though.

Obviously he's not aging well.
ARCH
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:42 pm

This wasn't really him being injury prone... the field was still wet as it's been raining the whole series, and he kind of rolled his ankle and slid a few feet on the wet grass trying to get to a ball
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:50 pm

The reason he's not on 1B (and, incidently, the reason Marte was traded) is because Chipper believes he is a 3B and wants to play 3B. Unless he changes his mind, he's not moving anywhere. The man has already chagned positions once for the Braves and recently renegotiated his contract in order to save the Braves a lot of money (he's getting the same money but it's over more years; it was essentially a paycut). He's been great to the Braves, and the Braves won't ask him to do anything he doesn't want.

Also, if Betemit is starting at 3B, the Braves will have no backup for either SS or 3B. I mean, I guess Pete Orr is still around, but that is NOT the guy you want to have as your primary backup to two critical positions (and Orr doesn't really have the arm to play SS).
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:17 pm

On a lot of teams Betemit would be a starter and rightly so. Its not hard to find a defensive backup SS/3B. Chipper would prolong his career and production playing 1B and improve the Braves in the process.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby mathias » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:20 pm

So I've got Jason LaRue on my DL right now (16 team league, no better Cs on the WW), think I should dump him, put Chipper on the DL, and pick up Betemit?
mathias
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:26 pm

I'd wait and see what the Braves do with Chipper 1st.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:Ugh. Chipper is more injury-prone than Wile E. Coyote. What's next, he falls down the stairs carrying deer meat for Todd Helton?

:-[

Chipper's games played totals since he became a regular in 1995:

140, 157, 157, 160, 157, 156, 159, 158, 153, 137, 109.

So it was really only last year that he missed significant time with injury. He certainly isn't getting any younger, but to suggest he's "injury-prone" I believe is a fallacy. He may be slowly becoming injury-prone, but he hasn't been until last season and this injury doesn't really fall into that category. It could have happened to anyone. I would call it a freak injury, if it winds up being an injury at all.......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby mathias » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:31 pm

SportingNews.com wrote:Manager Bobby Cox said he didn't consider the injuries to be serious, but that the Braves would give Jones a couple of days off and re-examine him Wednesday in Atlanta. That means Jones would miss the team's home opener Monday against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Good news I guess.
mathias
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaShiz23 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:39 pm

havent drafted him the past three years. seem to always grab him off F.A., and get a lil down stretch.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 7)

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:havent drafted him the past three years. seem to always grab him off F.A., and get a lil down stretch.

I'm curious what kind of leagues you are playing in where Chipper is available on the FA wire? Is this a four team league or a league that counts good stats negatively? Just wonderin'........
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers