Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Smith? Jose Castillo? Who?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Smith? Jose Castillo? Who?

Postby DaQ » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 pm

I go to look at how my backup 2B, Luis A. Gonzalez is doing and see this guy Jason Smith in his place, and tearing it up.

Then, I see how Adam Dunn is doing against the Pirates in their series, and see Jose Castillo is doing very well too.

Any more info about these two young 2B that not many people have heard of? I can always use a nice backup (not a waivers question Hammy)...
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:25 pm

j24jags wrote:Jose Castillo is a young guy, he had a great minor league track record, he showed both power and speed and eventually he could hit 30 HRs and steal 20 bags possibly, for this season 22-24 HRs and 11-12 SBs seems reasonable, he is one of my sleepers this year.
Jason Smith-you got me too :-?

I'm trusting you on this - I just picked up Castillo and may start him.

As for Smith...he's 28-29? He did nothing before this year (I checked him out on the Rockies site). He was with the Tigers for 2 years.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:46 pm

j24jags gave great advice.

J. Smith will platoon at best. The Rockies will call a prospect up before giving him the full time at bats despite his good week.

J. Castillo is a young prospect with serious upside.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:02 am

j24jags wrote:i was watching castillo so closely actually that after he went 1-3 and 3-4 to start the season, i picked him up and have been starting him ever since. he has not disappointed me ;-D

edit: his one negative is that he Ks a good amount (as most young players do), my league doesnt count Ks though so I'm fine with it

Adding to this, if you're in an OBP league, be cautious, because he doesn't walk a whole lot either. That said, I really like him. He's got some sweet potential at the plate. On top of that, he is really fun to watch play second base.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SoxAndTheCity » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:13 am

Baseball Prospectus does not speak highly of Castillo's upside. He looks like a 10-12 HR guy to me with little speed too. Honestly, I don't know where you are getting 30 HR's from? :-?

I wouldn't expect him to get anywhere near 20 HR or 12 SB's, personally. More like .275 10 HR and 5 SB.
SoxAndTheCity
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:17 am

SoxAndTheCity wrote:Baseball Prospectus does not speak highly of Castillo's upside. He looks like a 10-12 HR guy to me with little speed too. Honestly, I don't know where you are getting 30 HR's from? :-?

I wouldn't expect him to get anywhere near 20 HR or 12 SB's, personally. More like .275 10 HR and 5 SB.

Well, he hit 11 HR's in 370 AB's last year, so that's a little better than what you're saying right off the bat. Plus, he's still developing as a big league hitter. He has opposite field power and he will hit around 20 HR's this year.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 am

Shandler has him hitting 12 HR's in around 400 AB's, so if he plays full time he likes him hitting 15+ HR's.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:45 am

Castillo has 20 HR potential...he rips the ball the other way like a madman. If the Pirates would just bat him 2nd, I think he'd be a fantasy star.

And I don't see him stealing very much in the 7 spot. Maybe 5-7 at most. I actually don't think the Pirates have stolen a base this year. :-/
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers