Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sources: Bonds may be subject of perjury probe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:04 am

Yoda wrote:
DGroundhog wrote:If he committed perjury testifying before Congress he should be held accountable for it. Clinton was impeached for lying under oath, Bonds shouldn't be above the same law.

Clinton was impeached? :-?

yah. look it up.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:05 am

bceagles04 wrote:
BritSox wrote:Yes. Being impeached only means being charged and sent to the Senate for trial, not necessarily convicted by that body.

I was gonna say the same thing...US HIstory class came in handy for that one ;-D

or reading the newspapers in the last 10 years. ;-)
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby pjalst » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:14 am

If they have evidence that Bonds lied on the stand, yes he should be charged. If Rafael Palmiero is not charged right along side of Bonds, then this will be a clear case of discrimination.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby BritSox » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:20 am

Palmeiro didn't testify to the BALCO Grand Jury did he?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Bonds is going down!

Postby cubs2238 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am

I have never heard of Palmeiro testifying in front of the Grand Jury. He testified in front of Congress with the rest of the guys last year. If you want to start talking about only picking on Bonds every single one of those players should be investigated that testified in front of Congress. I bet every single one of those guys who said they did not use were lying, except for McGwire who looked like a moron up there. He wouldn't answer but hey I guess at least he didn't lie.

The reason this is all coming down on Bonds is because of the situation he is in right now. Major League Baseball finally grew a spine and felt bad for not doing something sooner. Bonds is the last big name guy out there that has been accused of using steroids. He is also the guy with stacks and stacks of potential evidence against him. I could not be happier that Selig is investigating. I own Bonds in my money league and I hope everyday that I wake up and he is banned from baseball. I took a chance on Bonds but I would give up winning my 3rd straight league title if I never had to see Bonds play baseball again. He is on the verge of breaking records that should stand for many more years to come. At least until A-Rod or Pujols, because of there youth and imposing numbers already, make a run at these records. Ruth was the greatest power hitter of all time and Aaron was right there with him. Of course Aaron is the rightful owner of this record. I just believe Ruth would have finished with more if he had taken better care of himself. I still believe that Aaron's accomplishments were more impressing because of how solid and amazing he played for such a long amount of time.

Also Aaron went through so much when he broke this record. So much more than Bonds will ever have to face. Everything Bonds faces now, he brought upon himself. If he used steroids and it is proven he did so for as long as he did, he should be suspended indefinitely. I know it's not part of the rules but rules are made to be changed. If he purjured himself, he should go to jail. Oh yeah and anyone that wants to say he used human growth hormones and that this is somehow okay is foolish. Any substance that these guys use, that gives them an unfair advantage, should be placed in the drug policy. Bonds will hopefully not break any of these amazing athlete's numbers and if Selig has some balls he would erase all of the numbers that these guys during the Steroid's Era put up. I don't care if we can't prove what numbers were attained before or after they were on or off of roids. It's not fair that they have robbed some of the hall of famers of there places in history, why should we be fair to any of them.
cubs2238
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby pjalst » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:28 am

Can Bonds be found Guilty of Perjury if there is no witness or physical evidence to his steroid use? I think this is all just to Give Bonds a hard time. Even if Bonds was found to have taken steroids, the only thing MLB can do is put a"*" next to his numbers. Baseball had no Steroid testing policy, how can you kick a man out of baseball when there was no policy for what he did wrong? I think this is Bonds last season no matter how many HR's he hits. I have Bonds on My dynasty team. Luckily I only signed him to a 1 year deal.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:29 am

pjalst wrote:If they have evidence that Bonds lied on the stand, yes he should be charged. If Rafael Palmiero is not charged right along side of Bonds, then this will be a clear case of discrimination.

Yeah, federal prosecutors hate black people. ;-D :-?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:36 am

pjalst wrote:Can Bonds be found Guilty of Perjury if there is no witness or physical evidence to his steroid use? I think this is all just to Give Bonds a hard time. Even if Bonds was found to have taken steroids, the only thing MLB can do is put a"*" next to his numbers. Baseball had no Steroid testing policy, how can you kick a man out of baseball when there was no policy for what he did wrong? I think this is Bonds last season no matter how many HR's he hits. I have Bonds on My dynasty team. Luckily I only signed him to a 1 year deal.

Since he testified before the grand jury, there has been significant evidence to come out contradictory to his testimony. The grand jury isn't the media. Lying to the grand jury is a crime. Isn't it their job to investigate him? Do they have a choice? Are the people that claim it's discrimination really saying that federal prosecutors don't go after white people who commit perjury? :-?

I think Selig's investigation is pointless, but the grand jury has not only the right, but also the responsibility to investigate Bonds. Otherwise, the court's integrity is called into question.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pjalst » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am

Palmiero is white? 8-o
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cubs2238 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:41 am

I seriously doubt that the Grand Jury he testified in front of is just doing this because they are die hard baseball fans. Bad news for Bonds supporters, they don't announce these type of things unless they have already collected evidence and are serious about a response.
cubs2238
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers