Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sources: Bonds may be subject of perjury probe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:25 pm

Fine. That was my point. If they investigated the rest of them along with Bonds, whatever. Investigating Bonds alone and nobody else is ridiculous.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:28 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Are they investigating Sheffield? Palmeiro? Sosa? Frank Thomas?

I haven't read the entire article so if they are, fine. If they aren't it's a joke.

I agree with you and also disagree with you. I agree that anyone that lied to a grand jury should be investigated. Just because Bonds might be the first, it doesn't mean that he will be the last. Whether those guys are investigated or not also has nothing to do with whether he lied to a grand jury.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:31 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Are they investigating Sheffield? Palmeiro? Sosa? Frank Thomas?

I haven't read the entire article so if they are, fine. If they aren't it's a joke.

I agree with you and also disagree with you. I agree that anyone that lied to a grand jury should be investigated. Just because Bonds might be the first, it doesn't mean that he will be the last. Whether those guys are investigated or not also has nothing to do with whether he lied to a grand jury.

Actually, it does.

Did Bonds commit perjury? Maybe. That's why they are investigating him. However, Sheffield, Palmeiro, Thomas, Sosa, etc. all said the same thing that Bonds said under oath, yet they aren't getting investigated?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:05 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Actually, it does.

Did Bonds commit perjury? Maybe. That's why they are investigating him. However, Sheffield, Palmeiro, Thomas, Sosa, etc. all said the same thing that Bonds said under oath, yet they aren't getting investigated?

I am saying that they all should be but, if they do or don't, that doesn't change whether Bonds actually lied to a grand jury. It doesn't. Did they all testify to a grand jury?? I know that they spoke to Congress but I don't know if they actually testified.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Actually, it does.

I am saying that they all should be but, if they do or don't, that doesn't change whether Bonds actually lied to a grand jury. It doesn't. Did they all testify to a grand jury?? I know that they spoke to Congress but I don't know if they actually testified.

In front of the Balco GJ, I'm pretty sure the Giambis, Santiago, Estalella, and Rios were the players who said they knowingly took steroids. Sheffield was there, but he said he didn't knowingly take them, supposedly just going along with what Bonds and Andersen told him to do. I'm not sure if there were any other players that testified, but those are the only 6 I know of.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:36 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Actually, it does.

Did you read what Josebach said?

Palmeiro - Already investigated. Tested positive for steroids after he testified to congress. No evidence that he took steroids before testifying so perjury case was dismissed.

Sheffield - did not testify afaik.

Thomas - Testified, but said practically nothing.

Sosa - Testified in a carefully worded statement that admitted basically nothing.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Re: Bonds is going down!

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:51 pm

cubs2238 wrote:I bet every single one of those guys who said they did not use were lying, except for McGwire who looked like a moron up there. He wouldn't answer but hey I guess at least he didn't lie.

Leave it to our sound bite society to make a guy who refused to lie under oath look bad.

While those around him were spewing a load of lies towards Congress to make themselves look better, Big Mac took the high road and was villified for it.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:55 pm

DGroundhog wrote:
cubs2238 wrote:I bet every single one of those guys who said they did not use were lying, except for McGwire who looked like a moron up there. He wouldn't answer but hey I guess at least he didn't lie.

Leave it to our sound bite society to make a guy who refused to lie under oath look bad.

While those around him were spewing a load of lies towards Congress to make themselves look better, Big Mac took the high road and was villified for it.

The high road would have been admitting he took steroids. But what do I know....
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:15 pm

DGroundhog wrote:

I'm not sure I would call refusing to answer a legitimate question 'the high road'. It's not like they were asking him about a personal, unrelated matter.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:19 pm

DGroundhog wrote:

Here's what he said:
"Asking me or any other player to answer questions about who took steroids in front of television cameras will not solve the problem. If a player answers 'No,' he simply will not be believed; if he answers 'Yes,' he risks public scorn and endless government investigations." During the hearing, McGwire repeatedly responded to questions regarding his own steroid use with the line, "I'm not here to talk about the past." McGwire also stated, ""My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family, and myself." [1] When asked if he was asserting his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself, McGwire once again responded: "I'm not here to talk about the past. I'm here to be positive about this subject."

I agree with what he said, and I respect him for not answering their questions. But that isn't exactly what taking the high road means..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers