Return to Baseball Leftovers

is Dave Bush the real deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George Bell » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:39 am

Bush has always demonstrated great control and an exemplary BB/K ratio. He also has a tough, competitive nature. Expect some good things this year.

Was sorry to see him leave the Toronto in the off season, and now with Burnett down, I'll bet the Jays are sorry too.
George Bell 1987 AL MVP
"Kiss my purple butt."
George Bell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:52 pm

My thoughts on Dave Bush from March 5th:

perlick29 wrote:
Ender wrote:He ultimately will end up in the bullpen in my opinion. If he stays in the rotation his value will be limited by being the #5 guy and not being much of a K guy.

This is one time I disagree with you a bit. He will probably settle in as their number 3 or 4 because he as 4 major league ready pitches as opposed to a Bullpen guy who usually only has 2. He's not awful in K rate, about 5.5 between AAA and Toronto last year, and he could be a 6k/9 inning guy fitting into the LIMA plan. He's been fairly succesful in his major league career.

Personally being in Milwaukee cant hurt being away from his divisional foes of the Yankees and Red Sox, so he can help a fantasy team. Use a very late round flier on him and he will help your team out in the WHIP (1.25 last year) and possibly ERA and win categories.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:51 pm

He still could ultimately end up in the bullpen, he has worn down as the season progressed the past few years and it may happen again this year. Helling getting hurt has pretty much assured him of keeping the starting spot until he does wear down though.

I do think he's a good cadidate to put up good numbers but I still think his K rate is going to hold him back from great value in a shallow league unless Maddux works his magic on him which usually takes a bit of time. He makes a good spot starter though and if you play in a deep league like my main league he's great as a starter on the back end of your rotation.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:01 pm

He's a great spot starter until he strings back a few good starts in a row. As with most young pitchers, he will be inconsistent but my main thing is that he throws strikes.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:07 pm

I like him this year plus I think most pitchers are matchup pitchers.

Bench D.Bush @ STL, then look at his stats. Additionally, I think he only made one real bad mistake in his game @ HOU last week...decent start anyway.

In the bullpen...why would Milwaukee do that?
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:48 pm

In the bullpen...why would Milwaukee do that?

Like I said, he's had issues wearing down over the season. That was part of why Toronto was willing to trade him. The Brewers were taking a strong look at putting him in the bullpen and starting Helling or Eveland to start the season but Bush got off to such a strong spring he ended up winning the job.

If he does wear down mid season he very easily could end up in the bullpen. I think in order for it to happen one of the Brewers minor league pitchers would have to force their way into the majors for this year and obviously Bush would have to struggle with his command late in the season showing he's tiring out. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it could end up being what happens.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers