Denny Bautista
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:52 pm

I heard the announcers saying they thought the speed gun in Baltimore was a little fast so take Cabrera's #s with a grain of salt.

THrowing 100 for in one inning is one thing... Guys like Nolan Ryan who could do it throwing the innings he did, amazing. They guy was throwing 97 late in the game in his mid 40s. inhuman. Not even Rocket or RJ can do that. 97 was in their prime.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:15 pm

Today I was watching Verlander/Felix and Verlander hit 100 multiple times in one at bat, and even hit 101. I donno if the radar gun they were using for the tv was the official one...but take it for what it is worth.

Regardless Verlander can heat it up.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:19 pm

If anyone of you have watched the Angel Berroa double play on mlb.com or anywhere else, I saw the "1-1" or whatever count in the top left change to a "98" after Joe Mays threw his pitch to Peralta. That better not be MPH, cause I would be SHOCKED if Joe Mays threw a 98. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby RynMan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:19 pm

I really question the effectiveness of radar guns. As soon as the ball is released it begins to lose velocity. Therefore its velocity is constantly changing during its flight to the plate. Which velocity does a radar gun record? And do 2 different guns use the same method of measurement?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:04 pm

That's an excellent question... where the gun is placed and thus where it's picking up the ball probably matters a lot. No matter how hard you throw it, it starts slowing down as it reaches the plate. iF the gun reads early after the release, it'll read faster than at the plate.

Release point matters to for hitters... Tall guys or pitchers with long stretches who can release the ball closer to the plate and it seems faster because the ball has less distance to reach the plate.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:10 pm

RynMan wrote:I really question the effectiveness of radar guns. As soon as the ball is released it begins to lose velocity. Therefore its velocity is constantly changing during its flight to the plate. Which velocity does a radar gun record? And do 2 different guns use the same method of measurement?

Aren't the radar guns normally pointed right before the plate? So it would record it's slowest velocity so I'm sure the pitchers hit even higher speeds if they were to point it right when they release it.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:28 pm

johnsamo wrote:That's an excellent question... where the gun is placed and thus where it's picking up the ball probably matters a lot. No matter how hard you throw it, it starts slowing down as it reaches the plate. iF the gun reads early after the release, it'll read faster than at the plate.

Release point matters to for hitters... Tall guys or pitchers with long stretches who can release the ball closer to the plate and it seems faster because the ball has less distance to reach the plate.

Release point does affect the time to the plate, but it doesn't affect pitch velocity. As far as I know, there are generally two guns that are used - the "fast gun" which measures at the release point, and the "slow gun" which measures at some point after, but probably not at the plate so likely somewhere in mid flight. I have no idea which gun each stadium uses.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby RynMan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:52 pm

The only accurate way anyone can truly measure the velocity would be to set up a high speed camera perpendicular to the flight of the ball and calculate the time it takes to get there. You can then calculate the average velocity of the ball over the whole distance, or alternatively at any point during flight.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers