Return to Baseball Leftovers

100+ MPH pitch.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 pm

The amazing thing about Verlander is that his fastball gets faster throughout the game. During the first few innings he's been pitching around 94-97 with regularity, but after the third it begins to climb the radar. He's hit 100+ in each of his starts so far, and today was no exception - he hit 101 in the 6th I believe. By the time he left the game, his fastball was in the 97-100+ range consistantly.

Zumaya isnt as polished as Verlander, but he doesnt take as long to heat up either. There was some talk about whether Zumaya would be better suited as a starter or in the bullpen before the season started, but I think its pretty clear now that his future will remain coming out of the pen - he has that bulldog mentality.

Both Tigers pitchers have been clocked at 101 this season.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:22 pm

I happily plucked Verlander onto almost all my teams this week before this start =)
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby suppasonic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:48 pm

Im pretty sure radar guns measure the speed of the ball just as the ball is being released.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:56 pm

AT wrote:I happily plucked Verlander onto almost all my teams this week before this start =)

I don't want to get into detail on this, but it's still the first time these teams are getting a look at Verlander in-season. The majority of the pitchers that put up a what we could qualitatively call a "good" fantasy statline by the end of the year in their first starting seasons tend to be HoF-calibre pitchers. Peavy, Halladay, Beckett, Sheets, Harden to name a few took some time to evolve into the top pitchers that they are now. It's the Madduxes, the Pedros, the Clemonses of the world, that are really special pitchers that can do it right off the bat.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby looptid » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:25 am

I can, if Fox Sports is taking the measurements.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:53 am

suppasonic wrote:Im pretty sure radar guns measure the speed of the ball just as the ball is being released.

How does it distinguish between the angular velocity of the arm and the linear velocity of the ball in that case?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby ukrneal » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:17 am

johnsamo wrote:I heard the announcers saying they thought the speed gun in Baltimore was a little fast so take Cabrera's #s with a grain of salt.

THrowing 100 for in one inning is one thing... Guys like Nolan Ryan who could do it throwing the innings he did, amazing. They guy was throwing 97 late in the game in his mid 40s. inhuman. Not even Rocket or RJ can do that. 97 was in their prime.

You must not have looked at that link - Johnson hit 102 in 2004.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:14 am

The Jury wrote:
AT wrote:I happily plucked Verlander onto almost all my teams this week before this start =)

I don't want to get into detail on this, but it's still the first time these teams are getting a look at Verlander in-season. The majority of the pitchers that put up a what we could qualitatively call a "good" fantasy statline by the end of the year in their first starting seasons tend to be HoF-calibre pitchers. Peavy, Halladay, Beckett, Sheets, Harden to name a few took some time to evolve into the top pitchers that they are now. It's the Madduxes, the Pedros, the Clemonses of the world, that are really special pitchers that can do it right off the bat.

Verlander most definitely has the talent to be included in that group. Whether or not he retains his control all year is still in question, but talent wise he can be included in that list. He is worth a roster spot in all but the most shallow leagues.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:33 am

Sheets broke 100 a number of times, don't know if that was with an 'official radar gun' or not.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers