Return to Baseball Leftovers

what's up with Maroth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what's up with Maroth?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:49 pm

Is he gonna keep this up all year? I just thought of him as a low-K journeyman pitcher, does anyone have some better insight on this guy?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Los_Dodgers » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:45 am

i still think of him as a low k journeyman pitcher. the only thing that he might be half decent for in the end is his wins, playing for detriot and that offense (which, of course, is struggling mightily right now)
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:24 am

I wouldn't say they are struggeling. Maroth is only about 22-23 years old . It only seems like hes been around a while. He didn't have any offense behind him the first couple of years. His major problem is he doesn't really have an out pitch. He doesn't throw 95 MPH. Will he keep this up? Well that would mean he would win 30 gams.But I can see him winning 15 -16 games this year and having an ERA of about 4.00. In the AL thats pretty good with the DH.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:49 am

Surfs up wrote:I wouldn't say they are struggeling. Maroth is only about 22-23 years old .

Um, he's 28...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Thursday » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:27 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Surfs up wrote:I wouldn't say they are struggeling. Maroth is only about 22-23 years old .

Um, he's 28...

Ha, yeah. He's getting real lucky if you ask me. There's no chance that an ERA under 1 sticks. He's still a FA in both of my 12-team leagues, if that tells you anything.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:48 am

Sell high in an AL only league, otherwise he's not going to have any trade value so don't bother.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:11 am

I can actually see him having sort of a career year, but nothing close to what he's doing now. If he puts up a little more consistency than in the past, then he is capable of making a run at a sub-4 ERA (barely). But that is the best case scenario because he just isn't a high upside guy. What was interesting about him last year is how awful he was at Comerica. His ERA was nearly 6 in what was one of the best pitcher's parks in the league, but managed a solid 3.58 ERA (and 1.25 WHIP) on the road. Of course, Maroth is an inconsistent one and those splits were practically reversed in 2004. Call him a guy who is not too bad of a real life left handed starter, but a guy I don't really want to count on for my fantasy team.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Return to Baseball Leftovers