Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Fantasy Baseball League Story

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Fantasy Baseball League Story

Postby X1088LoD » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:42 am

Ah, the saga that was Yahoo Fantasy Baseball PLUS League #800....

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (maybe mid march), I joined up a prepaid Yahoo PLUS league, commish (who we will call Buck for short) paid for it all, so basically his rules go, little did we know how absolute that was...

So the draft went down among the 20 teams, and it was pretty solid, everyone all around was very knowledgeable, everyone talked in the messageboard, trades were going around left and right, it was by far the best league I have been in. (20 teams are fun). This was a yahoo head to head league, with basic categories plus walks and complete games.

So Buck starts out with a pretty good team in terms of 20 teams. And then the trades start (did I mention there was no voting for vetoing trades and no commish review, they just go straight through). So he starts trading away, basically, the week before the end of march, i think he had the best team in the league by a mile. Yet somehow, at the very end of March, his team has dissintigrated into Fantasy purgatory. His team is awful, yet he continues to talk so much #$#% to everyone in the league, so everyone else plays along and talks #@$% back. He talks about how basically week 1 and 2 will be bye weeks for his team (which is really bad, trust me) and teams 1 and 2 decide to analyze his team to show that no way does he stand a chance during those weeks, Buck decides he has had enough talk, so he locks team 1 and 2 from everything (posting, roster changes, pick ups, drops)...everything. Seeing as this is unprecedented, I speak out for these two teams, saying how their banning was unwarranted, and not fair for the rest of the league. So, of course me saying that got me a one way ticket straight to being banned myself.

So I try to make a replacement league for everyone to come over so we can use the teams that we have spent weeks constructing to play. Buck starts logging into the replacement league using other managers ID's and calling us names and saying we dont want to join your stupid league (kinda funny how they all had the same Yahoo ID...). So anyone that joins the replacement league, he goes into the main league, and he locks all of them out of it, just for joining the replacement league. I try to talk to him on instant messanger that it isnt fair to cut them out just for joining up this league, but his response is simply "ok bye" over and over.

So after a couple of days of him lobbying with Yahoo to get us removed from the league (unsuccessfully), (oh and did I mention by this point he completely locked 7 managers), he eventually unlocked everyone and everything seemed to get back on track.

And then the season began....

Now I drafted a pretty good talented team for a 20 team league, and was flying way under the radar, my team was ranked pretty low by all the other managers, but I had faith in my guys. Sure enough, end of week one, I have a great week and am in first place. Now Buck on the other hand, gets, (how do you say?) destroyed! The team with which he talked so much smack gets his tail handed to him by the superior team, and Buck doesnt acknowledge this at all, and goes on to talk about how awesome his team is and how he will destroy the week 2 opponent.

Week 2 rolls around, once again, my guys continue to impress. By the conclusion of week 2, I have a pretty good hold on 1st place in the league with no signs of slowing down. Buck on the other hand gets his tail handed to him even worse than the previous week. His two "bye" weeks end him up down in the cellar, dead last by a clear margin. The talk dies down a bit, and the two week 1 and 2 opponents enjoy their time in the limelight for backing up their talk with their teams.

So Buck continues to press the issue, and everyone else keeps talking about how his team really isnt that good (which in all honesty it wasnt).

Then week 3 starts. Monday night. Good. No events.

Tuesday-ish, I login to yahoo and whats this? All teams are being locked from posting, picking up, basically everything. Buck, and a few of his cronies in the league basically drop all the good players from everyones team, and he and another guy (we will call him Mitch) basically take their pick of the players and fill up everyone elses teams with scrubs.

My team remained largely untouched, although he took Andruw Jones off my team (right when he is doing awesome against the Mets!!!) yet somehow leaves A-Rod on it. But the teams he really doesnt like, he just dropped everyone on their team, so right now there are several 12-0 records according to Stattracker (so much for my first place lead...).

So right now, he is beating a guy, who has recently had Aramis Ramirez, Miguel Tejada, Pedro, and a buncha other good guys, however those guys arent on his team anymore (not by choice). So Buck sets his lineup everyday with his recently stolen all star lineup and leaves all the open holes on the other guys team, and is currently beating him 12-0. Pretty easy to do when you can determine exactly who plays against you eh? And he has the gall to brag about it in the forum (which only he can write in, and write in it he has...alot....to himself).

And I quote..."12-0 ladies", along with many other phrases not suited toward our younger audiences.

All I know about him personally, is he is a high school kid on a major power trip. But I have never seen more po'ed managers in my life, we all put so much time into this league, only to have this moron mess it all up. I cannot begin to tell you how angry this makes me. I hardly knew what was going on in my other leagues because I dedicated all my time to this league. All this for a stupid plastic trophy from yahoo....pathetic.

I hope you have enjoyed my tale, as it brings me little enjoyment if any at all, but just thought it would be nice to share my little novel with everyone here.

And the moral of the story is: ahh...screw it, im tired of typing, screw you Buckhead Raiders!
X1088LoD
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:02 am

I think the moral is "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me."
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -61)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:09 am

if someone pulls crap like that they deserve to be beaten. and they shouldnt even be suprised once the beating starts, they should just know it was coming.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby sharksfan1139 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:25 am

noseeum wrote:I think the moral is "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me."

i believe its an old saying from the heart of Tennessee, and i think its in Texas as well and it goes like this "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." :-D

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Fubashi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:38 am

Man, I would really love to whip his ass. That's why I only play with friends for around 50 bucks a team. Keeps people interested and there are no quitters or sore losers like your commish.
Fubashi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:30 am

Too bad Yahoo won't ban his arse from ever running another league on their site and will do nothing in general. 19 people get turned off to fantasy due to the actions of one guy yet there's nothing that will be done.

Agree that he must obviosuly be compensating for other issues (like no GF, etc.) and is on a power trip. Too bad you had to get involved.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Laean » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:36 am

raiders fan, no surprise. :-D

you said he paid for all the league right? just get people to stop playing in it. let him waste his money.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby PacmanJr » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:47 pm

A side league, that I have since quit, also had some commish abuse. However, it wasn't close to this bad. I don't know what the point to his season is now. He basically paid to run a league with himself. He is probably used to playing with only himself though.

The commish in our league just kept changing the rules. He refused to push the rules back to the original settings, so I dropped everyone except an active roster. I had a decent team but oh well. I haven't the time to play with cheaters. He changed the waiver wire process, so he could pick up Baez and another player. Then, he changes the mimimun innings pitched which killed his current opponent.
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Stanley Roberts » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:55 pm

sharksfan1139 wrote:i believe its an old saying from the heart of Tennessee, and i think its in Texas as well and it goes like this "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." :-D

I've heard this before but I never understood it. Can you explain?
Stanley Roberts
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby schmidty » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:21 pm

Stanley Roberts wrote:
sharksfan1139 wrote:i believe its an old saying from the heart of Tennessee, and i think its in Texas as well and it goes like this "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." :-D

I've heard this before but I never understood it. Can you explain?

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bush ... foolme.htm
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers