Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Postby spacehamster01 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Last week I was playing a guy with Morgan Ensberg, Jonny Gomes and Carlos Delgado. By Thursday he was ahead of me by like 15 or so RBI and like 9 or so HRs. Then, with an AVG of .320 I decided to bench all my guys to I could at least have a likely chance in winning that offensive category. The league commisioner is complaining that it is "bush league" and that its unfair and that I don't deserve to be in the league. Is what I did wrong?
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flowbee » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:13 pm

Your the manager of your team, you can do whatever you want if it helps your team. Your commisioner is a little crybaby or doesnt think your benching them to try and win
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:16 pm

Agreed. A good league (and commissioner) has anticipated and written rules to preclude that type of strategy if they don't like it.

If they haven't, tough.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:19 pm

your commissioner wants teams to be competitive, right? who is he to make judgements on strategy.
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:20 pm

I don't think it's unfair IMO as long as you have a valid reason behind the strategy, which you have covered. I could see why someone may get upset by it, but I don't really see it as bush league, personally.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Re: Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Postby thehotcorner » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:36 pm

spacehamster01 wrote:Last week I was playing a guy with Morgan Ensberg, Jonny Gomes and Carlos Delgado. By Thursday he was ahead of me by like 15 or so RBI and like 9 or so HRs. Then, with an AVG of .320 I decided to bench all my guys to I could at least have a likely chance in winning that offensive category. The league commisioner is complaining that it is "bush league" and that its unfair and that I don't deserve to be in the league. Is what I did wrong?

do what you gotta do. i think thats legit. as legit as roster churning.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby giants! » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:47 pm

Seems fine, the commisioner should have outlawed it before the season if he had such a problem with it.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:49 pm

I do it all the time, especially in the playoffs when you only have to win by 1 catagory. It's really frustrating for your opponent. I love it.

If you win your league there won't be an * next to your name saying you benched your bats.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:54 pm

Fireball Express wrote:I do it all the time, especially in the playoffs when you only have to win by 1 catagory. It's really frustrating for your opponent. I love it.

If you win your league there won't be an * next to your name saying you benched your bats.

ditto
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:58 pm

Everybody is saying his commish is a baby, but what if this was a roster churning thread? Would you guys be saying the same?
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers