Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby spacehamster01 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:02 pm

Guys, what is the definition of "bush league?" Its only my second year of fantasy baseball so im still unfamiliar with this term.
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:05 pm

The only thing bush league about this whole situation is your comish's complaints.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby DCNats » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:31 pm

spacehamster01 wrote:Guys, what is the definition of "bush league?" Its only my second year of fantasy baseball so im still unfamiliar with this term.

It's a baseball term that originates from the last names of ex Blue Jay teammates Dave Bush and Brandon League. The two were both relievers, and both dirty players, so when Bush would relieve League, opposing managers would call it Bush League.

No that's a lie. It's really a baseball phrase that's been around forever. It just means playing dirty or without class. My high school coach used to accuse every other team of being bush league then tell our pitchers throw at opposing players he didn't like... :*)
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Everybody is saying his commish is a baby, but what if this was a roster churning thread? Would you guys be saying the same?

I don't know what everyone else would say but I would say that if the league doesn't have rules in to preclude it then there's nothing wrong with it. If people don't like roster churning then don't allow it - it's that simple.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:48 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:Everybody is saying his commish is a baby, but what if this was a roster churning thread? Would you guys be saying the same?

I don't know what everyone else would say but I would say that if the league doesn't have rules in to preclude it then there's nothing wrong with it. If people don't like roster churning then don't allow it - it's that simple.

I think it is just ironic that some obscure strategies within league rules are ok, but some are considered bush league or amature ;-) .
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:57 pm

You won't get that from me...I think anything that's within the rules is fair game. And I've really never understood the hate for aggressive spot starting (roster churning is such a nasty sounding description...I like the aggressive spot starting term better). It has its place just like any other strategy in h2h does. It can burn you and it can sweep the pitching categories in a week and there's definitely more to it than just picking the guys with the ^. But honestly that subject is beating a dead horse anyways...just feel fine that you won't find many people here that have a problem with the benching batters end of the equation.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby tlef316 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 am

not bush league at all. If you feel that was your best way to maximize points, more power to you.

Solid strategy, assuming there is no rule in place. Should he really be that mad about you conceding 4 of the 5 hitting cats?
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby spacehamster01 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 am

Well its actually a 4x4 league. At the time I was winning by 2 SBs and completely getting rocked in HRs and RBI. I ended up winning AVG and tying SBs while losing RBI and HRs, but ended up winning the week 4-2-2
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Re: Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Postby bellings » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:29 am

spacehamster01 wrote:Last week I was playing a guy with Morgan Ensberg, Jonny Gomes and Carlos Delgado. By Thursday he was ahead of me by like 15 or so RBI and like 9 or so HRs. Then, with an AVG of .320 I decided to bench all my guys to I could at least have a likely chance in winning that offensive category. The league commisioner is complaining that it is "bush league" and that its unfair and that I don't deserve to be in the league. Is what I did wrong?

Reason number two thousand, five number, and sixty-seven that I don't play head-to-head. I love the idea of head-to-head, but it gets so unrealistic. Roto is the way to go.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with what you did.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers