Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby subie101 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:35 am

i play a 8 team h2h 10x10 and i do it all the time ( and people about everytime) with pitchers. perfect example is this week E. Santana and Baez went for me tonight, basicly i could bench all pitchers and still win H, ER, ERA, WHIP, K/b and i already made min. innings. sometimes i feel its a little cheap but it not cheating.

whats the difference sitting your best player just because another one has a better chance to get you a SB that will win your week?
subie101
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:32 am

bellings wrote:
spacehamster01 wrote:Last week I was playing a guy with Morgan Ensberg, Jonny Gomes and Carlos Delgado. By Thursday he was ahead of me by like 15 or so RBI and like 9 or so HRs. Then, with an AVG of .320 I decided to bench all my guys to I could at least have a likely chance in winning that offensive category. The league commisioner is complaining that it is "bush league" and that its unfair and that I don't deserve to be in the league. Is what I did wrong?

Reason number two thousand, five number, and sixty-seven that I don't play head-to-head. I love the idea of head-to-head, but it gets so unrealistic. Roto is the way to go.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with what you did.

What would that look like? 25#67? lol
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby BritSox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:58 am

it's not like roster churning. It's more like my first week this season, when my ERA was thru the roof after day one, and i threw out every single pitcher on my roster irrespective of matchups to try to grab W and K.

If he'd benched a pitcher at the end of the week because he had the counting stats in the bag and he was going at Yankee Stadium or Coors, no one would have batted an eyelid. Rope-a-dope is a completely acceptable strategy in all forms of head to head, and not only do the rules not preclude it, they shouldn't.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby bellings » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:51 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:
bellings wrote:
spacehamster01 wrote:Last week I was playing a guy with Morgan Ensberg, Jonny Gomes and Carlos Delgado. By Thursday he was ahead of me by like 15 or so RBI and like 9 or so HRs. Then, with an AVG of .320 I decided to bench all my guys to I could at least have a likely chance in winning that offensive category. The league commisioner is complaining that it is "bush league" and that its unfair and that I don't deserve to be in the league. Is what I did wrong?

Reason number two thousand, five number, and sixty-seven that I don't play head-to-head. I love the idea of head-to-head, but it gets so unrealistic. Roto is the way to go.

What would that look like? 25#67? lol

:-B Doh! five hundred, five number...
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:58 am

DCNats wrote:
No that's a lie. It's really a baseball phrase that's been around forever. It just means playing dirty or without class. My high school coach used to accuse every other team of being bush league then tell our pitchers throw at opposing players he didn't like... :*)

It's the opposite of Major League. The bush leagues were out in the sticks, minor league, etc. so it would be an insult for major leaguers to call each other bush leaguers.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby ukrneal » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 am

Spot starting NOT EQUAL to churning.

Aggressive spot starting = churning.

As to the question, I think you are going against the spirit of the game. By the rules, you haven't done anything wrong, but not playing half of your team for 3 entire days is against the nature of the game. Resting a guy one day is one thing (say due to a matchup), but most people will rarely leave a position void. In general, if you do this every week, I think you'll eventually pay for it anyway though. Even now, your league should just come to an agreement on how to deal with this for the future, and then there won't be any arguments.

When the game becomes one where everyone is just trying to find all the holes in the rules, it loses its enjoyment.

I've never played 4x4, and now I think I'll avoid it.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:28 am

I agree with all the above comments. This is why I play in a weekly line-up league ;-D
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 am

Who's to say that your opponent doesn't catch up with you and pass you in average? You can manage your roster you have the best way that helps your team do the best in the standings. I did say manage your current roster, not add and drop new people from your roster in bulk every day (churning garbage).
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby 5 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:50 am

bellings wrote:

H2H seems to cause a lot of problems...I don't care for it but others like it.

Actually Points is the way to go. With points leagues, you don't have to rely on other teams' performances for your success. It's a true test of your own ability.
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:50 pm

ukrneal wrote:Spot starting NOT EQUAL to churning.

Aggressive spot starting = churning.

As to the question, I think you are going against the spirit of the game. By the rules, you haven't done anything wrong, but not playing half of your team for 3 entire days is against the nature of the game. Resting a guy one day is one thing (say due to a matchup), but most people will rarely leave a position void. In general, if you do this every week, I think you'll eventually pay for it anyway though. Even now, your league should just come to an agreement on how to deal with this for the future, and then there won't be any arguments.

When the game becomes one where everyone is just trying to find all the holes in the rules, it loses its enjoyment.

I've never played 4x4, and now I think I'll avoid it.

Nice. ;-D ;-D

Ways to avoid it: Minimum AB's or total hits instead of average would do the trick. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers