Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is benching guys to keep AVG up a crime?

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:08 pm

bellings wrote:
spacehamster01 wrote:Last week I was playing a guy with Morgan Ensberg, Jonny Gomes and Carlos Delgado. By Thursday he was ahead of me by like 15 or so RBI and like 9 or so HRs. Then, with an AVG of .320 I decided to bench all my guys to I could at least have a likely chance in winning that offensive category. The league commisioner is complaining that it is "bush league" and that its unfair and that I don't deserve to be in the league. Is what I did wrong?

Reason number two thousand, five number, and sixty-seven that I don't play head-to-head. I love the idea of head-to-head, but it gets so unrealistic. Roto is the way to go.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with what you did.

Exactly. You realize when you play H2H strategies like this can happen. And since you are not fond of it, you play Roto. When you play H2H you are opening yourself up to much more strategy week to week. We use K's in our league for offense. I weas up in all the other counting stats but had 12 more K's than my opponent. I was tied in SB's so I started the three players who get me SB's and benched the rest, hoping his guys would K and I'd make up ground there. It's called playing in a competitive league and actually earning wins. If you dont like it play Roto or create rules to govern such practices, don't complain and get upset.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fool42 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:57 pm

The rules are the same for everyone. To raise his avg all he had to do was bench his his high k/hr guys and start only his high avg guys. It's kinda like bunting in the 9th of 1-0 game but it also breaks up a no-no. The manager is just trying to win the game within the rules but fans & media will moan about it being dirty.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Postby tgalv » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:14 am

that's just smart managing
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Fool42 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:36 am

I guess the underlying tones of this make it obvious that the unwritten rules of fantasy baseball are almost as ridiculous as the the ones in real baseball.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers