Return to Baseball Leftovers

So we know who's the worst announcer, who's the best?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:35 pm

Hawk and DJ ;-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brownie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:53 pm

The TV is muted every time I watch a Tribe game so I can listen to Tom Hamilton's play-by-play. The guy makes a solo shot in the top of the first as exciting as a game winning blast in the bottom of the ninth. He's smooth, interesting and at times, funny. Am I biased? Sure. But this Indians fan wouldn't trade him for anyone.

As for the worst, I can't stand Bob Costas or Tim McCarver. Are there two bigger homers for the Yankees than these two? I'm ill every time they trot these guys out for the playoffs. Costas is a bright guy, so I won't completely trash him, but McCarver is an idiot. There's not a guy on the planet who has mastered the art of stating the obvious like Tim. Every October, I'm blown away by how little he brings to the table.
GO TRIBE!!!
Brownie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Kurtangletn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:02 pm

I agree Remy is the best, they make the game entertaining even if its a blow out. I hate all that have dead air and that baseball radio announcer voice.

I hate any one with dead air.

Jon Miller+Morgan suck, Jon Miller's obsession with latino names is extremely annoying.

"here is, Manny (long pause for some reason) Rrrrramirez..."

of course Morgan who sits there and tells how the 2B should be treated alot differently, for example every DP when somone goes hard he says something about it in defense of the 2B
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:05 pm

GreenFish wrote:I am suprised nobody has mentioned Tim McCarver yet. He has to be one of the worst announcers of all time. He is absolutely clueless.

Agreed. McCarver is horrible, I can't stand listening to him.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby dewey finn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:34 pm

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby domination » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:57 pm

the worst is joe buck, i hate him so much, i can't watch the games he does, i listen to the radio, the radio guys are fantastic go WEEI!
Fear is the mind killer.
domination
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Thursday » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:03 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Foul Pops wrote:Two pages in and nobody has mentioned Harry Kalas!!?? Kalas has the best set of pipes of any broadcaster in the game, bar none. He is starting to slip, but I'll take a less-than-100% Harry, who still delivers 2 or 3 goosebump moments in every game.

Generations of Phillies fans know what it's like to listen to Harry while hanging out at the Jersey Shore. And when Richie Ashburn was alive, they teamed up for what is one of the top 3 tandems in baseball history.

ill vouch for this one. you can also hear kalas doing some football games on radio, chunky soup commercials and nfl films...hes the very best.

Whew! I was starting to get eworried too.

Harry Kalas is the best ever. There's a reason he does NFL films and Chunky Soup commercials. If the Phillies were a larger market team, this thread wouldn't even be a discussion.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:18 am

I'm not just saying this because I'm a Giants fan, but I honestly believe that our broadcasting crew (both radio and TV) is the best out there. Kurkow and Kuiper are a great tandem, insightful, funny, intellegent, and great play by play. Jon Miller isnt half bad either, he's much better when he isnt dragged down by Joe Morgan. I also really like Dave Flemming, I think he's really good and since hes young will only get better as hes around the game more ;-D
http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -100)

Postby smoovethug » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:26 am

I'm a homer but I don't have to be to know that Harry Kalas is the ABSOLUTE BEST! Larry Andersen is pretty funny too and he gives some good insight on the game, good to listen to.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby BANDINI » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:54 am

Harry Kalas has the best voice period. His classic HR calls, especially Mike Schmidt's 500th still gives me shivers down my spine when I hear it.
As far as color commentators, I know this is blasphemy but I really enjoy Keith Hernandez's stories and insights about baseball. Crappy voice yes, but he definitely tells some interesting stories from his playing days. Not the best, but interesting for me.
Kalas reigns supreme in my eyes though as best all-round broadcaster.
BANDINI
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers