Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why have all 3 of Bonds homers gone opposite field?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:14 pm

Pretty much what everyone else has said, pitchers are pitching him away, and the few times that they do pitch him inside he's hitting more line drives as turning on the ball seems a little harder for him to do with his knee. I only watched 1 of his HRs on TV, the one yesterday, and that was a high and away fastball that he went with and drove out. Today it was a 99 MPH fastball away from Wagner :-°
http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dipset » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:02 pm

Well usuall it isnt smart to pull outside pitches. Dont you usually want hit the ball opposite field if it's thrown outside
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:39 pm

so this has nothing to do with him losing bat speed? maybe swinging later on balls than he used to. again i have no idea, but just wondering.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:41 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:so this has nothing to do with him losing bat speed? maybe swinging later on balls than he used to. again i have no idea, but just wondering.

No. All of the pitches that he's taken out have been high and outside.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:51 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:so this has nothing to do with him losing bat speed? maybe swinging later on balls than he used to. again i have no idea, but just wondering.

No. All of the pitches that he's taken out have been high and outside.

what about balls that he isnt taking out? is he pulling everything?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby RynMan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:55 am

This was also my intitial thought when I heard all 3 were to the opposite field. However everyone is saying that he has been pitched away so far - so this is a positive.

SOTG: You don't have to bend your legs to hit the low outside pitch, just adjust the angle of the bat.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby brandnew » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 am

I've never really understood the physics of baseball with hitting the other way and all that... anyone got a good link explaining it?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:30 am

brandnew wrote:I've never really understood the physics of baseball with hitting the other way and all that... anyone got a good link explaining it?

Don't have a link, but here's an experment you can do to show some of the aspects. Place a broom handle on floor. Roll a tennis ball towards it and watch the direction the ball goes after hitting the handle. Now angle the broom handle differently (use the same pivot point - keep the left part of the handle stationary and only adjust the right side, which will simulate Bonds bat being swung from the left side of the plate). When it is angled like a forward slash as you face it, the ball will go to your left (as it would if you were a pitcher throwing a ball to Bonds when he pulls it). If it were angled like a backward slash, it will go to your right. If there is no angle, it should come right back towards you.

Now, there are other aspects to the flight of a ball (such as the spin of the pitch, the spin imparted on the ball by the bat when struck, etc. which will affect the flight of the ball. But the direction in which the ball starts will be based predominantly on the angle of the bat.

For Bonds to pull the ball/hit it to right, the bat needs to be angled in that direction - just as the broom handle needs to. To get a bat angled in that direction, and using his wrists as the pivot point. It is easier to pivot the bat in that direction and hit that ball, the he needs a pitch closer to him and/or start his swing earlier. To hit a ball to right, it helps to have a ball further away and/or to swing later.

If you try to pull an outside pitch, unless you have very long arms, you likely pivot the bat (using your wrists) such that the ball misses the sweet spot. Or you start your swing too early and the movement on the pitch adjusts the location of the ball slightly so you don't hit it squarely.

As such, great hitters take outside pitches the other way. It gives them longer to recognize the pitch and they have a better chance of hitting the ball on the sweet spot. But to be effective, you need strength to drive the ball since it is easier to pull a ball with authority than to hit the other way with authority and hitting weak grounders to the other side is not a good skill to have.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:14 pm

eftda wrote:
DK wrote:
Yoda wrote:steroids ;-7

LMAO. I was going to say the exact same thing, you bastard. :-b

Its still legal to give your bat steroids. ;-D

...thats awesome...i still remember when sammy got caught, and got like a week suspension, just another example of selig sucking on the high and mighty power hitters...
...YAY FOR BAT STEROIDS!

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -12)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers