Return to Baseball Leftovers

The TRADE/DRAFT/KEEPER board is like a lawnmower repair shop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Do I sense some Leftovers elitism in this thread? O:-)

Seriously, though, I find it a lot more useful to get other people's opinions about specific players than to ask them to look at a specific deal. Usually, I'll do some rudamentary research and post a thread in Leftovers asking for other people's thoughts about a specific player, mentioning his recent stats and scouting report-type information from other sources. Usually I'll get a good idea of how other people are valuing the player as well as some insites into what I should expect from there the rest of the way.

This type of information is not only more valuable to me, but it's also more valuable to the forum than a "is this deal gud? WHIR" post. If other people are interested in the same player, they can use that magical search function and read up on him. With that information in hand, making a decision is a lot easier. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 02, 2006 1:12 pm

WHIR is the biggest lie since "No new taxes" "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".

I post a lot there, and even if those posts are stupid, (or you already know the answer) the forum is helpful--maybe you are overlooking something.

But I have rarely gotten the help back that is promised. (probably because of a stupid question, but still)
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 02, 2006 3:27 pm

wrveres wrote:
Howie wrote:Someone just dropped Todd Helton, should i pick him up? :-D

you forgot ....WHIR
;-D ;-D
Don't forget- "Time to drop Teix?"
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue May 02, 2006 5:47 pm

It can be useful as long as you're not chiming in on obvious no brainers.

I try and help the newbies out a little by answering the posts with 0 or 1 responses so it doesn't seem like the forum is a complete waste of time. And typically the ones that have so few responses are the ones that actually require insight and thought...

But yeah, the whole WHIR from people who obviously have no clue needs to stop.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Fool42 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:07 am

I just don't feel right asking for help on a tough trade decision from people that are asking if they should trade Izturis for Utley. Or the people that ask which Izturis...as if it matters.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Postby suppasonic » Wed May 03, 2006 12:45 am

Fool42 wrote:I just don't feel right asking for help on a tough trade decision from people that are asking if they should trade Izturis for Utley. Or the people that ask which Izturis...as if it matters.

Why would anyone give up izturis for Utley? Utley's been hitting like crap. :-b
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)

Postby reenum » Wed May 03, 2006 1:38 am

I spend quite a lot of time on there, and the one trend that annoys me are posts like "Who do I need to offer to get Pujols?"

Honestly, to me that just reeks of laziness. Part of the fun of fantasy to me is thinking up of trade offers and then working with the other side to get it done. If a person is not willing to do at least some of the leg work, then there's no point in playing fantasy.

Also, I think the reason a lot of folks there have 800+ posts is that they will run EVERY single transaction across the Cafe. I post trade questions sometimes, but they'll usually be ones that are close calls. Nothing like, "I was just offered Pujols for Jack Wilson!!!! What do I do?????"

Rant over.
reenum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -13)

Postby GSes » Wed May 03, 2006 1:45 am

Matt riley just droped, should i use my #1 waiver priority? WHIR

honestly, it took me a good week to figure out what WHIR even meant, i was too embarassed just to ask :-o

eventually after a week i put it together! and realised!

WHIR!
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Wed May 03, 2006 3:21 am

I try to help a handful each week, because I've always appreciated those who take the time to respond when I have a question. That said, it gets kind of daunting, and impossible to monitor the responses that I do make. I used to like to go back to a thread after I helped to see if there was a follow up question, but now if I leave for a few hours that thread seems to be buried three pages deep.

I guess it's the nature of the beast since this place is so popular...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers