Return to Baseball Leftovers

The TRADE/DRAFT/KEEPER board is like a lawnmower repair shop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thomasps3 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:31 am

Just so I can get some understanding of WHIR, which seems to pop up everywhere, wht the heck does it stand for?

Additionally, those questions are where I started for the first 30 posts or so and we need to keep in mind that those guys that are in the forum will eventually become contributing members of the site. Even if one out of 1000 ends up contributing in a meaningful sense, that is one new poster to offer opinion, and perhaps analysis. Let's remember that the people that post are the lifeblood of the cafe and should not be made to feel inferior. If that was the case, this cafe would've been dead a long time ago.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Fool42 wrote:I just don't feel right asking for help on a tough trade decision from people that are asking if they should trade Izturis for Utley. Or the people that ask which Izturis...as if it matters.

of course you'd want Cesar over Maicer right?

WHIR stand for Will help in return.

The first post of this thread is funny :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Postby tgalv » Wed May 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:This is a classic...

"Help. Should I drop Cory Lidle for the recently dropped Roy Halladay? Leave a link and I'll help you."

Okaaaay. I want your help.

!+)

i browse through sometimes and just avoid topics that are completely stupid. the thing is, the stupider the question, usually the more responses it gets, because it requires no thought to answer.

i also question a lot of the advice in that forum. i was on at 4am or something one day and it was just me and one other guy responding to posts. not to sound too elitist, but i think i give good advice, and almost every thing this one guy said i completely disagreed with. and the guy must have answered 20 questions from people who obviously needed the advice to make decisions.

personally i'd rather just discuss stuff on the forum than post roster specific stuff. i'm running the team, why the heck should i listen to some other random person who may or not have any clue what they are typing about?
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby great gretzky » Wed May 03, 2006 5:16 pm

well, that is my point, but I take it differently.

I can listen to what someone is saying, I don't have to incorporate into my decision. I usually have my mind made up and post a ? just in case there is a relevant point to be made that I hadn't thought of.

If you are going to run your team by cafe plebecite, than there is no point anyway.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby tgalv » Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 am

yeah sometimes it's good to get an outside opinion on stuff. my post was more aimed at the people who post every little move they are thinking of making. what's the point of playing fantasy if you aren't even making the decisions.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby jnormy » Fri May 05, 2006 1:27 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Do I sense some Leftovers elitism in this thread? O:-)

Ya think? Just remember while y'all are up on your high horse that "Leftovers" is the place that spawned Trü and that 100-plus page Barry Bonds steroid rant. Not moments to be proud of...

That said, I agree that some of the stuff over on "the other side of the tracks" can be a bit simplistic and silly, but I also think a great many people there are serious about either wanting opinions or helping others. Maybe they don't go about it in in the most effective way, but I don't think that deserves ridicule. I also don't think anyone spending as much time as we do in an online fantasy baseball forum (and yes, I'm including myself in this statement) has any right to be so snobbish!

And seldom was heard a discouraging WHIR'd... :-b
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 31)

Postby thomasps3 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:54 pm

jnormy wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:Do I sense some Leftovers elitism in this thread? O:-)

Ya think? Just remember while y'all are up on your high horse that "Leftovers" is the place that spawned Trü and that 100-plus page Barry Bonds steroid rant. Not moments to be proud of...

That said, I agree that some of the stuff over on "the other side of the tracks" can be a bit simplistic and silly, but I also think a great many people there are serious about either wanting opinions or helping others. Maybe they don't go about it in in the most effective way, but I don't think that deserves ridicule. I also don't think anyone spending as much time as we do in an online fantasy baseball forum (and yes, I'm including myself in this statement) has any right to be so snobbish!

And seldom was heard a discouraging WHIR'd... :-b

I couldn't agree with you more. The site is excellent for a reason..people can chime in with their opinions and the poster can dismiss or accept the opinion....

the cafe is sweeeeetttt....let's not make it some kind of Starbucks cafe where you have to call a large a venti, otherwise the girl behind the counter looks at you like you have 5 heads...
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers