Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sitting your lefties vs. Lefties

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sitting your lefties vs. Lefties

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 02, 2006 11:17 am

Does anyone always sit certain lefties vs lefties.

I find that when i do this it works out most of the time. But then once in a while my player will T-Off on a Righty Relief pitcher that comes in.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 02, 2006 11:19 am

Depends on the hitter and if I have a decent bench option that night.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 02, 2006 11:26 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Depends on the hitter and if I have a decent bench option that night.

Same. I also check his career lefty/righty splits in advance.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby flowbee » Tue May 02, 2006 3:00 pm

Shawn Green
Corey Patterson....

Not only that, but theres usually less stolen base success against lefties too
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue May 02, 2006 6:27 pm

I've regularly selected 3-4 lefty OF/CI types and platooned them through 2-3 slots with great success. Right now I have Giles, Nixon, Langerhans, Granderson, and Winn. Together they'll end up giving 5-6th round production and were alll pretty much available from round 10-20.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed May 03, 2006 1:04 am

Morneau.

Although I seem to recall getting burned last season in your scenario, axeman ... sat Utley against some southpaw, then he banged a grand slam off a reliever in the 9th. Can't remember the exact game. :-?
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed May 03, 2006 3:37 am

nuggets wrote:Yes I do it too, platooning as GTWMA indicates can give you a big advantage. Be careful though, Edmonds hits some lefties really well, Ichiro and Matsui are two who have actually hit lefties better than righties in some seasons.

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I've regularly selected 3-4 lefty OF/CI types and platooned them through 2-3 slots with great success. Right now I have Giles, Nixon, Langerhans, Granderson, and Winn. Together they'll end up giving 5-6th round production and were alll pretty much available from round 10-20.

Did you pick him because you though he'd be as good as M'kis? :-D

you can take it, all in good fun

No, after losing DLee, I do what I always do...watch the waivers for how I can improve. At first, the best option was DaVanon, but then, someone dropped Langerhans, clearly a younger, better player. I wish they'd move him back to the #2 slot where he was, because batting 8th in the NL is the kiss of death.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:33 am

Always do this, that and sit the Rockies players when they are away from Coors. Not always about starting the best player, but starting the player who will give you the best stats that day.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby johnsamo » Wed May 03, 2006 5:39 pm

I do it every year... I've got Broussard, Lofton, Hawpe and Shawn Green... shuttling in my open OF and UT slot... two at least are bound to be facing a righty every day.

I just picked up Green because he's streaky and looks to be on the cusp of of a hot streak

Between those guys, I get really good production from those two slots... the last two weeks, Hawpe and Brousard have been hitting for power and average and Lofton for avg, steals and runs.

It takes more research, you have to stay up on opposing team rotations, you have to check batter vs. pitcher history, etc... but it pays off. I only do it with outfields though because it gives me more replacement options...
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers